Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Awwww well done Nikki, to have gained such trust as you have, taking it slowly (with a bit of firmness thrown in) really pays off doesn't it. How sweet was that, he licked your finger to let you know he only does it to warn you he doesn't much like all that grooming

Zena gets terribly matty ears, but she knows when I say "wait" I mean she has to be stock still. When I look back to her puppy days, how scared she was of me doing anything in the way of grooming or fiddling with her (such a fidget she was) I thought I would never, ever be able to do anything with her, and yet now, she will lay upside down for me, and wait whilst I snip off any little matty bits between her legs, on her tummy or around her ears. Ears I can usually tease out eventually, but last night, I had to actually cut a big clump out, very close to the skin,which she seemed soooooo pleased about cos after I showed her, she flattened me and smothered me in kisses on the floor Unless she could go collarless, there's not a lot I can do about her crazy ear hair getting matted.

Yes, these are big dogs to mess with, but I'm sure you know your limits with Ben, and would never push beyond them. Bless his heart, great achievement there Nikki.
Thanx H - it is scarey sometimes, but you have to keep the faith
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Well done Ben and well done mum and dad for your perseverence. Reading your story has given me hope that I may be able to resolve a problem I have with my girl.

I have a problem drying and grooming my Roxy (rescue border collie cross) When she came to us 9 weeks ago she growled every time I tried to dry her with a towel. I left her for a few weeks but then, over the last 3 weeks or so I have been using small pieces of towel so that she feels my fingers in her coat (which she seems to enjoy) and we are gradually reducing the growling. Your story makes me feel that maybe, just maybe Roxy will accept that being dried and groomed is not such a bad thing after all.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Well done Gnasher. It's nice to hear success stories.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-07-2013, 06:24 AM
"a tail and frilly drawers shampoo and condition" ...... Where does one buy this product please?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Ears I can usually tease out eventually, but last night, I had to actually cut a big clump out, very close to the skin,which she seemed soooooo pleased about cos after I showed her, she flattened me and smothered me in kisses on the floor.
Thats funny H, i Just had the same problem with Kodibear, he has had a couple of really thick knotted tangles behind his ears. I have tried tugging and pulling with my fingertips to untangle but he gets so fed up and lies down on the floor upside down to make it difficult for me. I then get down on the floor with him and try to hold his head but he gets more grumpy and starts with the soft mouth biting. Anyway about a week ago I decided to cut them out, but was worried about using scissors, so used short nosed electrical cutters. That worked a treat and he is knot free for the moment. I didn't get the kisses though, he just walked off disgusted with me.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Well done Ben and well done you. It just shows how gaining their trust is everything and all done through your gentle perseverance.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
Well done Ben and well done mum and dad for your perseverence. Reading your story has given me hope that I may be able to resolve a problem I have with my girl.

I have a problem drying and grooming my Roxy (rescue border collie cross) When she came to us 9 weeks ago she growled every time I tried to dry her with a towel. I left her for a few weeks but then, over the last 3 weeks or so I have been using small pieces of towel so that she feels my fingers in her coat (which she seems to enjoy) and we are gradually reducing the growling. Your story makes me feel that maybe, just maybe Roxy will accept that being dried and groomed is not such a bad thing after all.
O bless her. I am convinced that with rescues like Roxy and my Ben they have been hurt in some way during grooming. Aggression is virtually always founded on a base of fear, and it is just a question of slowly slowly gently feely, holding back when they growl but at the same time let them know that it is unacceptable behaviour which will not result in total cessation of the grooming. I find with Ben if I stop brushing when he has squeaked, growled or lunged, but just stroke the area I was brushing whilst at the same time gently pushing his head away, he will usually relax and lay his head back down again. I think it is very important that their mouths are nowhere near the grooming hand! When Ben does go, I hold my finger up into his face and say a firm No, whilst at the same time stroking where I was brushing so that he knows his aggression is going nowhere.

Every single evening now when I get back from work we have a grooming session. Last night Ben actually came and sat in front of me and asked to be brushed!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thats funny H, i Just had the same problem with Kodibear, he has had a couple of really thick knotted tangles behind his ears. I have tried tugging and pulling with my fingertips to untangle but he gets so fed up and lies down on the floor upside down to make it difficult for me. I then get down on the floor with him and try to hold his head but he gets more grumpy and starts with the soft mouth biting. Anyway about a week ago I decided to cut them out, but was worried about using scissors, so used short nosed electrical cutters. That worked a treat and he is knot free for the moment. I didn't get the kisses though, he just walked off disgusted with me.
Yup, you are right to cut out. It is virtually impossible to tease out the tangles behind the ears, and your hands are far too vulnerable being so close to the mouth. The last thing you want is to get bitten, even if it is only a threat - trust and confident is lost then on both sides. Much better is to cut out with round-ended scissors.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
"a tail and frilly drawers shampoo and condition" ...... Where does one buy this product please?

I used my John Frieda volumising shampoo, followed up with my L'oreal conditioner (because He's worth it!). Then a very thorough rinse with gallons of warm water, and a shampoo with Vetzyme flea shampoo
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I used my John Frieda volumising shampoo, followed up with my L'oreal conditioner (because He's worth it!). Then a very thorough rinse with gallons of warm water, and a shampoo with Vetzyme flea shampoo
Wow that sounds so good, do you do people too?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >