View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Holly has different flavour food. She also has lots of different treats aswell, never had a problem.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks Zoe, he only has a couple a day while we're doing our clicker training - no problems so far
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Mine can't have any sort of dentastix, they go right through them xx
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
Following on from this really, does having a variety of treats cause any upset? I've got loads of different ones that I can keep in an airtight jar so that when I give a treat there's a variety and he doesn't get bored - do people generally just stick to the one kind?
I feed Bailiie a variety of treats each day but they are all home-made so I don't keep them out of the fridge even though I dry them out during the cooking process by leaving them in the oven until its cold or even over night.

She's been on home-made treats since I got her at 8 weeks old and has never had any problems.
I'm sure Marco will be fine, especially if the treats are only tiny as a reward for your clicker training.

Seems like my Bailiie will be fine on different flavours of food too, going off everyone else's experience - thanks to everyone who's replied

Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Several of my doggy owning friends alternate brands every month or so! I think generally dogs deal well with change? I know my previous dog had a lot of our food too, different stuff all the time, and he was always fine.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2013, 03:47 PM
They do say if a dog's food suits them they don't get fed up eating the same thing every day. That it's us that think they must get bored with it. But I've had dogs that ate EVERYTHING and dogs that would only eat the one brand and flavour of dogfood. All stayed in fine form.

Where treats are concerned with Bella I think as long as it 'came out of the treat drawer' where I keep her lead and doggy bags etc. She'd eat it whatever it was lol! Could probably chuck her a bit of cardboard out of the treat drawer and she'd eat it!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2013, 06:23 PM
My dogs and cat get something different every meal. I dont believe in feeding the same thing day after day. They get kibble, canned, raw, freeze dried and scraps. I have different brands, flavours and proteins. My dogs are never sick. What causes dogs to have tummy upset is the fact that they get the same thing day after day. Mine gave been eating this way for years now, and never have an issue.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-09-2013, 06:49 PM
i always have a couple different brands of tins for marley so its always caging about, never causes a problem,

always a pick out of the same 3 brands so i guess hes just used to all 3 being part of his diet
ShetlandSheedog
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2013, 12:51 AM
My dogs are on TOTW and I have switched between the different formulas with no ill-effects I also feed a variety of f
different treats and they have done just fine.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:46 AM
Nigredo eats a kib only made in 5 lb. bags. It's for smaller breeds. I got it for him when he was little because the kib was nice and tiny for his puppy mouth, but he loved it so much and he did so well on it... after I was forced to take him off of raw food (teeth started to go bad) I put him right back on it.

They have several flavors, Lamb, Turkey, and Performance formula (which has a main meat of chicken). Al these foods have carrots, green beans and dried apple/sweet potato pieces etc. mixed in.

I got one of Jade's old 20 lb dog food bags and simply mix all three 5 lb bags in together for him. He LOVES it this way, and have been doing it ever since. All the same brand, like you... and never a tummy trouble. He's on free feed, so it's super easy for me to do it this way.

He also gets general crap for treats, sparingly or with his training. Thankfully, he's been kept at a perfect weight, despite me not trying hard at all to do so.

I don't use annoying clicker crap to train him so the treats are less unless we're learning a new one or doing a run though of everything.

These treats include...

My little wolf Salmon recipe is one of his favorites but costs too much and stinks so not always. Any sandwich meat, low fat such as deli ham or turkey, I avoid sausage, bologna etc. he gets dried cranberries.... idk why but he LOVES them, Merrick cat kibble... just a few pieces, Raw bits of offal or whole cooked meats

No tum trouble at all. He also steals wet cat food on occasion as well as garbage and gets tidbits at each meal I'm with him, admittedly. Maybe he just has a tough tum, ever since he got rid of that horrible Giardia... he can tolerate anything.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >