View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Well to be fair it can take a while for allergies to be diagnosed, I think looking back it was 5 months before we realised my husband was allergic to Mollie because she just caused at first an itch that we put down to anything but our new arrival as he hadn't been allergic to any other dogs.

Didn't make us rehome her though he has been on a strong dose of antihistamines everyday for the past 11 1/2 years.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 04:04 PM
We also used to get a lot of people return to (or coming to for the first time) dog training classes once their dogs hit adolescence and they realise they really can't control them! The first night of a new adult beginners class was always a little hairy!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
We also used to get a lot of people return to (or coming to for the first time) dog training classes once their dogs hit adolescence and they realise they really can't control them! The first night of a new adult beginners class was always a little hairy!
At least they went to classes and tried tackling the problem instead of just getting rid of the dog...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
At least they went to classes and tried tackling the problem instead of just getting rid of the dog...
Yes that's very true.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I once took on an 18 month old gsd from someone I knew, she bred them and she did obedience with this dog, so it wasn't that she was untrained or a handful, and the story I got was she had to let her go because she had "gone" for one of her new breeding dogs which was a collie when it reprimanded a puppy. I later found out it was purely because, she got in the way of her new breeding regime (collies) and knowing shepherds like I know them, I expect this dog was seriously put out by the lack of attention it was getting.

Anyway, I had had this dog for about 3 months and I suddenly got a phone call from her that she wanted her back because she missed her terribly Me being me at the time, I had no choice but to back down, I felt so priveledged that she had given me and only me her loving companion because she said she knew how much I loved her, having met this dog on a number of occasions when going about my daily business. Anyhoo, round she came with her hubby one night to take our beloved dog away from us but that bdooly dog was so darn smart, it ignored her the entire evening, even when she did her silly voice thing to it, it wanted nothing to do with her and came and laid at my feet with it's head on my lap totally ignoring her. It turned out SHE was the one who went home crying, because she said she just couldn't do it to her dog, she realised she had made her forever home with US, and we enjoyed her for a further 13 years!

See, some stories have a happy ending
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2013, 08:13 PM
That's a lovely story Helena
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2013, 06:28 AM
One of the most irritating situations occurred some years ago - my friend bought a chocolate Labrador (because he was soooo sweet) for her children who were aged around 11 and15 and who had pestered her continuously for years to get a dog.

You will never believe what happened, I know I was shocked - the children didn't keep to their side of the bargain i.e getting up before school and walking him! (being sarcastic btw!)

AND if that wasn't enough my friend started to feel guilty about leaving him all day when she went to work.

She was in a further dilemma because she couldn't return him to the breeder who had specifically asked that she do so if things didn't work out because she'd had him castrated and the breeder had said not to. She had him castrated because he started being aggressive to her son.

The dog wasn't trained because "he is so clever he doesn't need to go to training".

So someone asked if they could take him and she agreed.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Lovely story - that hound just knew where she was better off didn't she.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I once took on an 18 month old gsd from someone I knew, she bred them and she did obedience with this dog, so it wasn't that she was untrained or a handful, and the story I got was she had to let her go because she had "gone" for one of her new breeding dogs which was a collie when it reprimanded a puppy. I later found out it was purely because, she got in the way of her new breeding regime (collies) and knowing shepherds like I know them, I expect this dog was seriously put out by the lack of attention it was getting.

Anyway, I had had this dog for about 3 months and I suddenly got a phone call from her that she wanted her back because she missed her terribly Me being me at the time, I had no choice but to back down, I felt so priveledged that she had given me and only me her loving companion because she said she knew how much I loved her, having met this dog on a number of occasions when going about my daily business. Anyhoo, round she came with her hubby one night to take our beloved dog away from us but that bdooly dog was so darn smart, it ignored her the entire evening, even when she did her silly voice thing to it, it wanted nothing to do with her and came and laid at my feet with it's head on my lap totally ignoring her. It turned out SHE was the one who went home crying, because she said she just couldn't do it to her dog, she realised she had made her forever home with US, and we enjoyed her for a further 13 years!

See, some stories have a happy ending
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Am so glad you got to keep her Helena, she was a very clever girl!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
You will never believe what happened, I know I was shocked - the children didn't keep to their side of the bargain i.e getting up before school and walking him! (being sarcastic btw!)
Got to say though it doesn't always turn out that way! I got my dogs when I was 14 and I DID do what I said I'd do (and more). The reason why I wasn't allowed a dog before (and I had wanted one since forever) was because my mum thought I wouldn't look after it properly. In retrospect she agrees I would have deserved a furry friend way earlier. But I guess you can never really know.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >