View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Sounds like someone letting him out and spending a bit of time with him midday might be worth a ago then.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi, there. Nice to see another American user. I hope you stick around for a while. Anyway, sometimes dogs can get bored or anxious when you're away. Since you're leaving him for 8 hours + this is likely the case.

He's alone, he wants his family and human attention and he's peeing - all over! Even if he has toys, it's not enough and without his owners, he might be getting anxious, or scared, or just REALLY, REALLY bored. My puppy will play with a toy for a while, or whatever.. but then he'll get bored and come running to me!

Also, like Tangutica said.. during the daytime, the bodies functions are not slowed as they are at night.. so the need arises to pee. He simply might not really be able to hold it that long, or it becomes uncomfortable.

As catrinsparkles said... most rescues won't let you adopt a dog if you're going to be out that long because dogs need their owners and can develop behavioral problems if they are away all the time.

I had to sign a contract saying I'd never leave my puppy alone for more than 5 hours each day and that I'd crate him or leave him where he couldn't get into anything (poisons etc.). Frankly, being out for 8 hours is far too long to leave a dog alone. Especially a high energy breed or a young dog.

I live with my father and he is not often here... my puppy has barked at him a few times because of this and now he's sticking around more so the dog can get used to him. He was also jumping up on my dad and peeing on him... which has also ceased since dad has been sticking around longer.

I could not really afford one of those pet sitter companies either, they are expensive and you can never trust those people anyway. Maybe you and your significant other can try and change work hours so that you can be home more often. Also, maybe you can crate your dog when you're not home... which might help him to localize his accidents or hold it longer?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2