Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Animal Welfare Act:

Duty of person responsible for animal to ensure welfare

(1)A person commits an offence if he does not take such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances to ensure that the needs of an animal for which he is responsible are met to the extent required by good practice.
(2)For the purposes of this Act, an animal's needs shall be taken to include—
(a)its need for a suitable environment,
(b)its need for a suitable diet,
(c)its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns,
(d)any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals, and
(e)its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.
(3)The circumstances to which it is relevant to have regard when applying subsection (1) include, in particular—
(a)any lawful purpose for which the animal is kept, and
(b)any lawful activity undertaken in relation to the animal.
(4)Nothing in this section applies to the destruction of an animal in an appropriate and humane manner.

-----------

Most Local Authorities (if not all) have local by-laws in place in respect of dog fouling - very few seem to enforce them. Neither do they keep their side of the bargain where they are responsible for the clearing up in many public areas.

Keeping dogs under control is also covered by Law.

Everything we seem to need in respect of responsible dog ownership is already covered by laws that are already in place.

Enforcement is the key and we seem to have very little of that!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by cadac21 View Post
I think it was the user 'Brierley' who mentioned that when the driving test in the UK was introduced the highway code was already written.

Brierley also said that for anything to work in the UK we need to agree on a highway code for dogs.

So i've taken that idea (hope you don't mind Brierley, i have tried sending you a message but I haven't been a member long enough) and thought we could have a loose discussion on the 'dogway' code idea.

So, If we were to introduce a dog licence and they also introduced a 'dogway' code what things would you like to see on it?

For example:

Any dog walker/owner out with their dog must carry with them some form of poop-a-scoop/dog bag. You can be asked to provide evidence as such to a licenced dog warden. On the spot fines for those not carrying some form of dog bag.

It can be anything you like that you think would help with general dog ownership.

I think that this idea needs to be explored and then perhaps discussed and passed on as an idea in the future?
Hi In Wales groups of people were asked what they wanted to add to Dog Welfare a lot were concerned that the councils have let go of all dog wardens this just doesnt help as though we have rescues,they have to be informed,where dog wardens were in plain sight.crystalgirl
cadac21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Good idea but the KC beat you to it with the Good Citizen scheme.

What's a baggie?
Sorry, a Baggie is something to do with football more specifically West Bromwich Albion. The username is a name of an old player and a Baggie is a nickname given to there supporters.

Apologies if I caused confusion lol

I suppose the good citizen scheme is good but It could be a lot better and also informed by law but that doesn't seem realistic at the minute
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by lynni View Post
When driving with a dog in the car,he/she must be either -if on the back seat,wear one of those clip on thingies that attach to the slot for a seat belt,or if in the boot use either a crate or attach a lead to a point in the boot so as to be able to clip it to their collar if you get what I mean?

The number of people I see with their dog loose in the car astounds me-what if you need to brake suddenly? You pet goes through the windscreen
Whilst I agree a crate on the back seat or clip to the seat belt, we used to use a dog guard in the boot and after one of ours got stuck half way through it chucked the thing away. I couldn't put Mollie on back seat she throws up in the body of the car, she is in the boot area but not in a crate, I couldn't put her into one even if the fine was high, she just doesn't like them and we do miles a week so she has to be happy.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Here in France you are only allowed to own 3 dogs per household UNLESS you live a certain distance from other houses.
Certain breeds MUST have insurance and the owner must take a days training course (at owners expense) dog must be on leash and muzzled when walked (and only by named trained person)
The police DO check, my son has 2 staffies here and police came round to check their papers to make sure they were not pit bulls (banned)
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
Here in France you are only allowed to own 3 dogs per household UNLESS you live a certain distance from other houses.
Certain breeds MUST have insurance and the owner must take a days training course (at owners expense) dog must be on leash and muzzled when walked (and only by named trained person)
The police DO check, my son has 2 staffies here and police came round to check their papers to make sure they were not pit bulls (banned)
Hi,Is that all dogs have to be muzzled and leashed or just so called potentially dangerous dogs?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi In Wales groups of people were asked what they wanted to add to Dog Welfare a lot were concerned that the councils have let go of all dog wardens this just doesnt help as though we have rescues,they have to be informed,where dog wardens were in plain sight.crystalgirl
Hi Northern Ireland has a licence system,I dont know what the stats are,but here in Wales they have ruled out the licence as being too costly to adminster,so we are adding bits to the Dog Welfare Act but we are hoping our new bits will be in force the end of thisyear crystalgirl
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Balas mum View Post
Hi,Is that all dogs have to be muzzled and leashed or just so called potentially dangerous dogs?
just the dangerous dog breeds
also no dogs can be sold without microchip (i am sure some private sales are done) but you cannot advertise a dog for sale without micochip number
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
just the dangerous dog breeds
also no dogs can be sold without microchip (i am sure some private sales are done) but you cannot advertise a dog for sale without micochip number
thankyou.It is the same here in Spain.It is also law that all dogs are microchipped but there are a huge amount of dogs without them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2