View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:23 PM
In Switzerland they intruduced a law where all owners of dogs over a certain weight (I think it's 20kg) have to attend compulsory education and training classes. I think that would be the way forward, because it promotes dog welfare, enlightens people about dog behaviour and connects them with other dog owners.
Also perhaps it would prevent people from buying dogs 'on a whim' for christmas etc. if they know they have to do a course.
I just think breed specific legislations are absolute nonsense. Now among those 4 dogs that killed that girl were 2 staffies, are they going to make staffies illegal too? I mean that would be the locical conclusion from it, if you look at how they handled it last time.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Also I think there's a difference between people who choose to ignore advice and those who aren't aware of the fact that they need advice. For the latter (and I think that would be the majority of uneducated people with dogs) it would make a big difference.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Good people get info, people who wouldn't buy a license, who dont bother with vacs( not choosers) who buy status dogs ,would continue to do so.
Education, designed by who,policed licensed by who, and all to be paid for by the responsible owners.
give it to any of our current politicians and they would be looking for the taxation angle and bollocks it all up anyway.
Always a successful tick box audit passed before a lot of horror stories happen.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I did the same when faced with diabetes, it's not the same thing at all to educating people about dog ownership.
But we are talking about people who will or will not take advice even if they know its sensible. So I think it is the same thing. Some people will follow expert advice to the letter and others either ignore it knowing the risks or think they know better. Doesn't matter what the good advice is about it's to do with the mindset of the person being given it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Who would decide the content and who would run these courses?

When the driving test was introduced, the highway code was written first. We don't have, as yet, a 'dogway' code to work to.

Until that standard code is written and agreed upon (which would be a miracle in itself), there cannot be a standard test or standard teachings leading to it.

As said, a great idea in theory, in practicality it would take a heck of a lot of getting in place and a heck of a lot of heated argument before anything could be agreed on. Throw in the argument of whether or not this would lessen the incidence of dog related and I think you would be looking at the near impossible to produce anything worthwhile.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I guess it would be easier to just ban all dogs then. Or just continue as we have until now.
Really making a change usually means really changing the system, which yes, is a hassle. Probably why in most countries politicians decide to opt for the easy and quick (and usually ineffective) solution.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Just have a total ban on all staffs, problem sorted
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I'M JOKING (couldn't resist)
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Just have a total ban on all staffs, problem sorted
How about all the bites from rotties, labradors, gsd, akitas etc.?
And where would all the thousand of staffs go? Put to sleep for absolutely no reason?

Pardon me if I didn't notice your sarcasm if there was any..
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
How about all the bites from rotties, labradors, gsd, akitas etc.?
And where would all the thousand of staffs go? Put to sleep for absolutely no reason?

Pardon me if I didn't notice your sarcasm if there was any..
May I gently refer you to post 18
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >