View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Pork is the cheapest and next to chicken is the most commonly eaten meat here in Hungary and as I home cook for my dogs it constitutes a major part of my dogs diet.

Since they've been puppies they've been fed lean pork, pigs liver, kidneys and hearts regularly, mixed with with a selection of lighly cooked fresh vegetables without any ill effects.

As I can't get beef bones they'll have half a raw pig's trotter instead.

In winter when my wood burning kitchen stove is going I buy half a pigs head for around 50p which I braise overnight in the oven. I then take all the meat off and crisp the crackling, cut it into strips, which they have instead of treats .... they love it!
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Mine have raw and cooked pork. They have raw pork ribs and veal ribs. They have boiled ham and any other cooked pork thats going!
Glad to hear that. Mine ate the mince last night with no ill effects. They were passing bricks this morning from the raw knuckle bones they has last night, LOL.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Pork is the cheapest and next to chicken is the most commonly eaten meat here in Hungary and as I home cook for my dogs it constitutes a major part of my dogs diet.

Since they've been puppies they've been fed lean pork, pigs liver, kidneys and hearts regularly, mixed with with a selection of lighly cooked fresh vegetables without any ill effects.

In winter when my wood burning kitchen stove is going I buy half a pigs head for around 50p which I braise

overnight in the oven. I then take all the meat off and crisp the crackling, cut it into strips, which they have instead of treats .... they love it!
Wow, that sounds wonderful. I shall be on a mission now to find a butcher who can supply pigs heads. I have a slow oven and think it would do nicely in there. Cheers.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I shan't worry about giving them scraps in the future. Cheers, Nicky.
Surrey Hounds
New Member!
Female 

24-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I regulary give mine very small pieces of chopped ham as training rewards and never had any problems.
However I was told by one of the rescues that you should never feed pork as it tastes just like us humans !!! Wasn't sure what she really meant and was too afraid to ask!!!
Anyone else heard that?
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 06:48 PM
That may be where the don't give pork to dogs saying came from.
ispetfashion
New Member!
Male 

05-04-2013, 05:37 AM
I think Dog can eat cooked pork.You give only a very small amount first time because it's a very rich meat,some dog eat e lot of pork as they have a strong stomach but some may suffer for poor digestion.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post

In winter when my wood burning kitchen stove is going I buy half a pigs head for around 50p which I braise overnight in the oven. I then take all the meat off and crisp the crackling, cut it into strips, which they have instead of treats .... they love it!
Same here - pork is the cheapest meat and on the Cypriot menu every day. Chicken however is not cheap here.

I should think every street and stray dog in Cyprus eats pork and pork bones daily as so much of it is served in the Tavernas and they survive on scraps.

I have noticed that the pork from pigs raised here is nowhere near as 'fatty' as pork was in the UK.

As with lots of other things - what they are used to comes into it I suspect.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Holly gets pork if some is left over. She has never had a problem with it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2