View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I am sorry if this sounds blunt, but you don't want her to stay on her own for that amount of time, you have no one to walk her, you can't afford a dog walker, and have no family close by. It seems to me that you have answered your own question. I don't mean it to sound bad, but it is what it is.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 10:18 PM
How desperately sad for both you and your little dog.

Could you perhaps put a notice up in your vets waiting room, and also any feed stores etc. where dog people might go. You could make it clear that you are not made of money but desperately need someone to help out.

If you cannot find anyone, then I have to agree with others that it is far too long to leave your dog on a regular basis.
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2013, 08:02 AM
when i mentioned schoolchildren I wasn't meaning 9 or 10 year olds but 15/16 year olds.

I have to agree that 10 hours is way too long to leave a dog. I would say half of that is probably maximum on a regular basis and for a puppy even less. I most certainly couldn't hold my bladder for 10 hours!No wonder she is confused and showing signs of SA.
You don't say what your job is, is there any way you could take her to work or can you get home in your lunch break to take her out?

I think your little dog's health is going to suffer big time if you don't sort this soon, again sorry to be blunt but the dog's health & welfare is most important. I am really amazed the rescue allowed her to go to someone who works such long hours.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Could you talk to your employers about possibly taking your dog to work? (I have no idea what your job is so sorry if its totally ridiculous)
Also talk to a few local vets, to see if they know of any elderly clients who used to have a dog but feel they can't any more because of age, folk like that are often very grateful to be able to have an animal companion during the day.
You could ask in local shops if they know of anyone like that too, shopkeepers often know all sorts about the locals.

Good luck finding a solution
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by sscocoaw View Post
I know and Ive thought of that as well, but thats a burden for her, lots of times I would see her in the morning and she would be rushing because she was late for work. And sometimes I notice she gets home after I do. I feel like if I asked her that I would ask her for too much and put too much responsibility on something she shouldnt have to alter her life for. I couldnt ask her for that.
Theres a doggie day care, but they dont open early enough and they close to early as well.
I have an older neighbor that lives alone upstairs with her cat, and Ive asked her before and she told me should can barely make it around anymore.

Ive really thought of any idea I can think of but nothing seems to help.
Hi What about a doggy day centre we call them creche over here you pay per day.It would be a shame to let her go,crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Working up to 13 hours some days? I just wouldn't even consider myself a candidate for owning a dog if that was my work situation and I just couldn't afford to pay for anyone to help out. And it obviously doesn't even leave hardly any hours for you to spend time interacting with the dog - considering you'd have to fit in time to eat, wash and sleep yourself before going off to work again. Doesn't sound as if she gets hardly any time for interaction with other people or dogs either. I'm not surprised she goes absolutely bonkers when you get back. I feel really sorry for her and it sounds as if you do too.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-03-2013, 06:39 PM
My parents work long hours and stuck a notice up in the post office looking for a dog walker...

Long story short, a retired couple offered to take the dog for a very short walk mid-day. They only asked for a very small fee, they feel they are to old for their own dog so a short walk and a little pocket money suited both.

Maybe see if there are any local retired people who could help you out.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
I am sorry if this sounds blunt, but you don't want her to stay on her own for that amount of time, you have no one to walk her, you can't afford a dog walker, and have no family close by. It seems to me that you have answered your own question. I don't mean it to sound bad, but it is what it is.
just can agree with Stamford on here, sorry

and also when you are saying "she needs you"
she only has you
she has no other option
and what time do you really still have left ONLY! for her?

that "flipping out" and being so happy, when you are finally coming home again, doesn't mean, that she is happy the most hours of the day
just a tiny percentage of a long lonely day

maybe you could find her a "better home" and could visit her from time to time?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi As you cannot find a solution,do you have family even if they live miles away,could they take her,at least you will know where she is.Life changes,and your circumstances could change nothing remains static,but if you let her go to a new home,people you dont know,you will always wonder,is she OK.So try and find someone you know and trust to have her.Or speak to a vet,ask him if he knows of anyone who has recently lost a pet and feel at the moment they cannot have a forever dog,but wouldnt mind fostering.I know its a lot to think about,but if you rush in,you will always feel regret that you didnt try every avenue crystalgirl
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
I agree, if you really cant afford to pay a dog walker, and your dog is suffering, then the kindest thing is to find her a new home , but please make sure whoever you home her with will not find themselves in the same situation as this.

You owe it to her to personally find her the right home, good luck .
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >