View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 12:09 AM
You bring to mind that saying - As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person (dog)

As for neutering the only difference I noticed i my male was that he was done too young, he didn't mature properly and he never cocked his leg, maybe he never would have but he always seemed very immature. I would never neuter a dog now before he'd had a chance to grow up properly, as for bitches I've had no issues with them being spade young
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
You bring to mind that saying - As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person (dog)

As for neutering the only difference I noticed i my male was that he was done too young, he didn't mature properly and he never cocked his leg, maybe he never would have but he always seemed very immature. I would never neuter a dog now before he'd had a chance to grow up properly, as for bitches I've had no issues with them being spade young
So we know that Sammy is at least a year old. Would this be considered mature enough to be neutered? He is still very puppy-like in his behaviour, although I put most of this down to his enthusiasm for his new surroundings and attention that he is getting now that he has never had before.

Excuse my ignorance about this, but although I have had dogs all my life, I have only ever had bitches, so I've nothing to compare it with.

With bitches in the past that I had spayed, I was aware of a little weight gain. In Poppy's case, as I mentioned before, there was an infection after the "more or less ok" op, where the wound opened. I cleared this up myself with regular bathing with iodine, and steri-strips. About 6 months later she had a period of sleep incontinence. No accidents at all around the house when she was awake, but would wee in her bed when sleeping.

This was how I came to meet the vet I use now. He prescribed some medication (can't remember now what it was) and it cleared up within a few weeks.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Neutered dogs only get fat if they are overfed! You may have to decrease their food by a third if they start to put on weight but with active dogs, I've never had an issue with weight.

My youngster (16 months) is still entire and doesn't cock his leg. I haven't had him neutered yet because we had quite a traumatic year last year and I felt that he had been through enough. He's not displaying any 'anti-social' tendencies yet so I will leave him until next Winter (once the agility season has finished!).
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Neutered dogs only get fat if they are overfed! You may have to decrease their food by a third if they start to put on weight but with active dogs, I've never had an issue with weight.

My youngster (16 months) is still entire and doesn't cock his leg. I haven't had him neutered yet because we had quite a traumatic year last year and I felt that he had been through enough. He's not displaying any 'anti-social' tendencies yet so I will leave him until next Winter (once the agility season has finished!).
Well I'll have to make sure I don't overfeed. Although I've had to overfeed these two rescue dogs for a couple of weeks to get them up to normal bodyweight. At first they fought each other for food...even when I fed them apart and ate so quickly they were choking. It's all settled down now and they are digesting properly..and no fighting!

Sammy does cock his leg. As I said he is over a year old. I would assume he has had to mature faster than most dogs with the life he has experienced so far...poor chap!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Ayak you are a mercy angel to these dogs. Living in Cyprus I know only too well what happens. In the North here they do the same - catch them, neuter them and put them back on the street where they were found with an ear tag. They will not euthanise any healthy dog. Some won't euthanise any dog.

I understand too about them being happier 'outside' as that's what they are used to. Your husband is an angel also! Not all Turkish men are the same - I have a Turkish Cypriot pal married to a Brit and they have a full menagerie in Lapta!
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Ayak you are a mercy angel to these dogs. Living in Cyprus I know only too well what happens. In the North here they do the same - catch them, neuter them and put them back on the street where they were found with an ear tag. They will not euthanise any healthy dog. Some won't euthanise any dog.

I understand too about them being happier 'outside' as that's what they are used to. Your husband is an angel also! Not all Turkish men are the same - I have a Turkish Cypriot pal married to a Brit and they have a full menagerie in Lapta!
Tangutica, when I first moved here, you couldn't find a vet anywhere who would euthanise. Things have improved a little in this respect, but not enough. When my Beki died last June, the vet treating her let her suffer for almost 4 weeks. I was not only fighting against a vet who refused to euthanise, but against a man in a male-dominated society, where women are just not heard over such issues. I shouted and screamed. He wouldn't listen. Finally he euthanised, but only when she was screaming in agony. I wasn't with her. My husband took over and he is still traumatised by the whole incident. It was the most horrific experience of my life. I don't think I will ever recover from it.

This is why I find it hard to trust vets here, but the one I have now listens to me (maybe because his wife is also a vet?). He also believes in euthanasia in the right circumstances...and he really cares. He knows we don't have much money, and he has helped out an awful lot with costs. He is neutering at a ridiculously low price. Not only that, another bitch who comes to the gate occasionally for food, was here when the vet called out to see us. He said that if we bring her in too, he will spay free of charge and administer all vaccinations, treatments, etc.

He's one in a million!

Well done your friends for the work they do..there really are some kind people about.We shouldn't forget that
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:33 AM
You are lucky to have discovered that vet. And yes there are wonderful people of all nationalities and from all walks of life and it's dangerous to generalise. But is sadly true that in this part of the world dogs are just not seen in the same light as they are in other more 'westernised' countries. Some see them as unhygenic and dangerous (sadly bring their kids up to feel the same) must say I had to laugh when it was explained to me that the reason a lot of Greeks feel the way they do is because they don't believe dogs have 'souls' - well I've no idea if that is true and certainly no idea if dogs have souls. But have to say it did make me laugh! However, living in a country where menstruating women are seen as 'unclean' and not allowed in church - it wouldn't surprise me.
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Tangutica, You never quite realise that there are so many cultural differences until you live in another country for a while do you?

I do try to remain positive and focus on the good things about this country, but I'm afraid the dog situation always gets to me
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Well you are making HUGE efforts to do something about it. Here it is mainly ex pat Brits who help in the shelters and rescues and all that.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What a lovely caring person you are. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be to be constantly confronted with these poor dogs, and you are doing your utmost to help as many as you can so all credit to you.

As for the neutering thing, well of course in an ideal world it is the very best option especially when talking about strays or feral dogs. However, from what you say the operations are by no means routine or safe as they would be here for example, so it raises the question of what is best for the dog.

Ultimately I suppose, no matter that there are risks, it is better to neuter rather than to increase the stray dog population, but if it is only people such as yourself who are willing to pay for this then it is a losing battle. Unless the attitude towards dogs in Turkey changes, the odd neutered dog will make little difference.

I can only repeat that I think you are doing a super job there, but you need to educate and persuade a great many more people to think the same way.

Well done though, and good luck
Hi I agree, with rescues here whether it be cats or dogs they are neutered,so I would follow there guidelines, I personally feel that its much better for a dog or bitch to be neutered,because in most cases it settles them.Have you seen a cat in season,its horrendous crystalgirl
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »