View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:49 PM
TBH the only one we didn't neuter was Rosie (long coat chihuahua) we didn't have much money but we put it off because she was so small we couldn't face putting her through it. Fast forward 13 years and she died because of that stupid decision. Also had several phantom pregnancies over the years and an infection when she was 12.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks Trouble it is something I am grumbling about due to such high prices but it isn't stopping me.
To wait for Samson to be fully mature would mean too high a risk of pregnancy plus he is a nervy dog so I don't think I will get him done so this is the way to go for me.
Also lost Anoushka due to Mammary Tumours and was told Spaying her would have lessened the chances of that too??
Just I think the high prices means that a lot of people won't think rationally about it and leave it to chance ?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
TBH the only one we didn't neuter was Rosie (long coat chihuahua) we didn't have much money but we put it off because she was so small we couldn't face putting her through it. Fast forward 13 years and she died because of that stupid decision. Also had several phantom pregnancies over the years and an infection when she was 12.
13 years for a chi is a very good life so don't fret about that decision x x Anoushka was nearly 12 when we lost her but she had cancer for a few years after removal of her first Mammary strip she was ok for ages but it came up on the other side and went internal so she stayed with us until she was too poorly
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Thanks Trouble it is something I am grumbling about due to such high prices but it isn't stopping me.
To wait for Samson to be fully mature would mean too high a risk of pregnancy plus he is a nervy dog so I don't think I will get him done so this is the way to go for me.
Also lost Anoushka due to Mammary Tumours and was told Spaying her would have lessened the chances of that too??
Just I think the high prices means that a lot of people won't think rationally about it and leave it to chance ?
I understand exactly where you're coming from with Samson as I have a similar issue with Milan the 6 year old. It's one of the problems of having 2 opposite sex dogs of similar age, and I think you're right he needs his testosterone. I'm fully aware of the risks of pyo etc but as yet I'm not willing to put Milan through the op when I feel quite strongly that it will affect her aggressive tendencies and not in a positive way.
I don't think it's a case of high prices putting them off though as much as they'd quite like a litter from their bitch and they convince themselves it's good for the bitch and they'll get it done at a later date. Unless you have both sexes and both are entire the risk of unwanted pregnancy is easily managed.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 01:22 PM
13 years for a chi is a very good life so don't fret about that decision x x Anoushka was nearly 12 when we lost her but she had cancer for a few years after removal of her first Mammary strip she was ok for ages but it came up on the other side and went internal so she stayed with us until she was too poorly
Thank you, I know she had a good life I just felt as she was otherwise well she could have lived longer. It's just wasn't a good decision for her we made it for us and learned from it I hope.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Trouble x
Julie I broke my heart when they said I could have prevented her cancer but she had a good life too, I also fed her on Bakers and since reading about dog food I seriously regret that too, but we live and learn eh and hopefully for the here and now we do the best to our knowledge at the time x x
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Trouble x
Julie I broke my heart when they said I could have prevented her cancer but she had a good life too, I also fed her on Bakers and since reading about dog food I seriously regret that too, but we live and learn eh and hopefully for the here and now we do the best to our knowledge at the time x x
That's all we can do and dogsey has a wealth of people who are very knowledgable I know I have learned a lot.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2013, 02:17 PM
? Is that key hole spay? That is £387 here.
CRIKEY THATS GONE UP ALOT I PAID £199
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2013, 02:17 PM
When I took Pixie and asked about it they told me if on tax credits it is only £30
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Exactly Rough, I really wanted the keyhole done too but after speaking to the nurse she said 1 in 4 have to be reverted to normal spay and with my luck it would be mine lol x x

Kimberlythomas that is great, I do get child tax credit but not working tax credit or housing benefit or c/tax benefit so in my area that is not the case, I know there are some places who are very cheap or have schemes but we seem to be miles out of the areas where that is of use to us

There is a place called spaywatch who help you find a cheaper vet for spay/neuter but it means for me travelling out quite far but may be of use to someone on here x
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »