register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I hate when people let their young pups or dogs run wild and up to you - it drives me crazy - I don't let my dogs do it I'm trying to teach them manners - that they have to sit at my side and wait until I tell them its alright to go and see other dogs (this gives me the chance to make sure its alright with the owner)

but there has been loads of times I have had a dog running circles around me and I have my 2 on lead and it takes all my strength to hold onto my dogs - and the owner just stands back and says awh they're just playing or do you never let your dogs off lead - AAAARRRGGGHH

I normally just say no because I don't want them doing that to some-one else!!
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I've been shocked at the number of dog owners I've chatted to (in person and online) who think that because their dog is friendly, there is no reason why it can't freely interact with other dogs regardless - and also think that if other dogs are not friendly then its these dogs that shouldn't be walked in busy dog-walking areas

I have given up in some cases, to be honest - but have not been very diplomatic on occasions when "poor friendly Fido-pup" has been put in his place after one of these encounters

With regard to whether adult dogs attack pups - I think some novice pup owners perceive a telling off as a full blown attack; and a big/powerful dog can bruise a pup, even if no teeth are involved Also, the puppy license does run out, and adult dogs lose patience - often at just the age that a pup is at its most rebellious and least likely to recall even when called
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2005, 02:44 PM
We've always done our best to teach Cassie proper manners and because she is the MOST friendly dog I've ever seen, it isn't always easy. She is a big chicken though and doesn't usually do the chasing. If in doubt, we've always had her on lead when other/bigger/unknown dogs have been around. I always tend to be more wary around dogs we don't know anyway, it's the sensible thing to do as a puppy owner.
We have, however, had problems the other way around also with dog owners who let their adult dogs run riot, steal Cassie's ball and maul her to bits with the owners stood miles away not doing anything about it to recall their dogs. My OH had a run in with a couple yesterday and shouted over can you please call your dogs, and how do you ever expect to achieve good recall. They were not at all pleased and ignored him completely so he had to put Cassie on the lead and retrieve her ball from their dog.
Guess the point I'm trying to make is all dogs need to be taught manners and sometimes there are just irresponsible owners
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 11:41 PM
To be honest if I was a puppy owner the last thing I would do is let my pup run upto every dog like it's his best mate. You can never be too sure, a really bad experience could ruin a young pup.

Don't beat yourself up over this, you did everything you could. It's the pups owner who will get a shock when his dog is fully grown and goes charging upto an adult dog expecting an easy time.

With my dogs I have to say most of the time they're given free range and seem able to guess when dogs are going to be hostile and avoid them. If they get attacked whilst off lead then that's my fault and no one elses.

I think I'm really lucky and will get a hell of a shock when I have to cope with a new pup full of beans and desperate to explore every thing and anything!
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I took all my dogs as pups to puppy playgroup, we did some training and advice and then at the end they all got to run together. Some were dominant and some were more submissive. As we stayed at the vets (Iwrkd there at the time) DelBoy was used as the alpha male! (Poor old guy!) and he sorted them out, not visciously but he told them off. The owners thought this was great and the pups respected him more and more each week.
I know what you guys are saying though, Even as pups I ALWAYs popped my dogs on the lead if I saw anyone. I would then ask if it was ok to let my dogs over and they would either say yes or no. Its the people who think that every dog will want to play that annoy me. I have asked countless people to lead their dogs when coming near mines but it falls on deaf ears. I usually say 'If you care about your dog and don't want him/her injured then please put it on a lead'. They usually come running at this point and apologise. I try to explain that they need to be careful and they usually take heed. There are some arrogant people out there though who totally ignore you! Unfortunately their poor puppies may have to learn the hard way due to their ignorance. But all I say is 'Well if you had listened to me in the first place I warned you my dog doesn't like ANY dog'. Then they feel bad for not listening, and so do I as the puppy may have had to be hurt in the process.
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
To be honest if I was a puppy owner the last thing I would do is let my pup run upto every dog like it's his best mate. You can never be too sure, a really bad experience could ruin a young pup.
This is what happened to my Lennie, and look at him now, doesn't like other dogs at all He used to run and play with lots of pals and now he only has a few. Its quite sad.

PS (He was a pup but on his lead at the time of the attack!)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Theres a couple of people in the village who've had the same thing happen. A friends Irish Setter was destined to be a gundog and then a neighbours Boxer attacked her as a pup and now she's a nrevous wreck Although she is completely adorable and they've kept her as a fmaily pet.
The landlady in the village has a black lab and her dog was attacked on the lead by another dog as a pup and now goes crazy on the lead but as soon as she's let off she's fine!
I just wish some people had more sense to not assume that all dogs are gonna be friendly, especially when there's a pup around!
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Its not fair.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2