Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I sometimes read a walking magazine that my friend buys, their attitude to shoots is appalling, almost as if nobody but walkers have a right to be on the hills at all.
Oh absolutely, people think the world revolves around them!
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Out of sight, out of mind I guess? I am definately way, way, way the other way, I can barely bring myself to let my dogs off-lead anywhere because I like to know where they are and what they're doing. I'm probably a bit too extreme, but I do provide alternative forms of exercise, like running with the dogs, and they have a large garden to play in (100'). I see people who let their dog roam hundreds of yards away or disappear out of sight and I really couldn't cope with that myself, I'd be straight in the overgrowth getting stung and ripped to shreds just to make sure I could see what my dogs were up to I know my dogs would likely give a good chase and potentially kill any wildlife they caught though, and not only that but Kiki would get so caught up in a chase I could easily imagine her running infront of a speeding car oblivious to anything but the rabbit/squirrel/deer and I would never forgive myself for causing the injury or death of a human being in that situation. So leads, longlines and whatever secure parks/fields we can hunt out, that's what I'm sticking to (and maybe next time a breed with a much lower prey drive )
With you on that one, I'd never knowingly allow any dog to get out of sight, or too far away.
The one dog that I did have that was a wanderer was always on lead except in a secure field I have the use of.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:42 PM
This is one of the reasons I stopped walking my dogs with my ex. We'd regularly walk in the Peak District and i'd be trying to keep my dogs under control whilst his was doing exactly as she liked, we never even saw her for most of the walks. She'd be finding game left, right and centre and give chase and my lot would take off after her, knowing she was on the trail of something.

I thought it was totally irresponsible, very dangerous for both dog and livestock and I eventually gave up walking with him.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
With you on that one, I'd never knowingly allow any dog to get out of sight, or too far away.
The one dog that I did have that was a wanderer was always on lead except in a secure field I have the use of.
I always recall my dogs if they go out of sight, as you just never know what they are up to and could be causing a nuisance of themselves - or worse.

Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
This is one of the reasons I stopped walking my dogs with my ex. We'd regularly walk in the Peak District and i'd be trying to keep my dogs under control whilst his was doing exactly as she liked, we never even saw her for most of the walks. She'd be finding game left, right and centre and give chase and my lot would take off after her, knowing she was on the trail of something.

I thought it was totally irresponsible, very dangerous for both dog and livestock and I eventually gave up walking with him.
Blimey - don't blame you! Your dogs could have been found guilty by association. Running off and chasing wildlife/stock etc also very quickly becomes a habit that is hard to break.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I have walked through shoots with my dogs, if they can't be bothered to put up signs you don't know they are shooting. I certainly have no wish to encounter them. On the occasions that they have put up signs they fail to take them down when they have finished so are then ignored after a while.

They shoot all around me and it is increasingly difficult to walk anywhere. It's the only plus side of the forestry work being done at the moment, it keeps the twats away.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't think they put signs up here tbh, but due to vehicles, noise and people it would be quite obvious if you were walking anywhere near a grouse shoot.

I do agree with you though Moetmum, that it would be helpful for signs to be put up where possible and appropriate.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:32 PM
OH puts up signs and informs local residents in advance
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Don't get me started on irresponsible dog walkers! My pet hate! We had a dogwalker walking through a gate that very clearly says No Dogs. Why she thought she was above it, I do not know!!

They actually close the moor here when grouse shooting. Think they are allowed to close it for 28 days of the year. Chatting to the Ranger, he has a hell of a job keeping people off!

When I was counting up there (neighbouring estate) I had an irate shepherd come up to me to give me a bollocking for having my dog off around sheep. He was very embarrassed when he realised who I was he did apologise and said he had awful trouble with dogwalkers from the nearest village allowing their dogs to actually chase the sheep. What planet are they on!

Really gets on my nerves how some dogwalkers just think they can do whatever they like!

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
OH puts up signs and informs local residents in advance
I wouldn't expect anything less
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Don't get me started on irresponsible dog walkers! My pet hate! We had a dogwalker walking through a gate that very clearly says No Dogs. Why she thought she was above it, I do not know!!

They actually close the moor here when grouse shooting. Think they are allowed to close it for 28 days of the year. Chatting to the Ranger, he has a hell of a job keeping people off!

When I was counting up there (neighbouring estate) I had an irate shepherd come up to me to give me a bollocking for having my dog off around sheep. He was very embarrassed when he realised who I was he did apologise and said he had awful trouble with dogwalkers from the nearest village allowing their dogs to actually chase the sheep. What planet are they on!

Really gets on my nerves how some dogwalkers just think they can do whatever they like!

Helen
Was that on Horseupcleugh? It would be Scottie. He is not known for his tact and diplomacy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >