New Member!
Male 

04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
My Slovak did exactly the same with her Golden Retriever friend
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Where I take the dogs for their morning walk, we sometimes come across deer. I am not up on the different types of deer but these are BIG. Jake gives a good chase, but they weave about so fast, that they are in the tree and away so fast, he doesn't have a chance at catching one. I do worry though, because sometimes they literally pop out in front of us, and I worry Jake will catch one that way... I also worry because I have seen babies! Thankfully, Jake gives up very easily and comes when I call (I say he gives up, but maybe I am just not giving him enough credit for doing as he is told ).

I know one dog though who disappears for 20 minutes plus because he starts the chase, and then is on the scent and just keeps going! If Jake was anything like that, he would not be getting off lead.

A deer shot out the trees the other day and was running at Arrow, but once it saw Arrow there, it changed direction... Arrow just looked at it like Was so funny, he just stood there like 'WTH is that???'
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Where I take the dogs for their morning walk, we sometimes come across deer. I am not up on the different types of deer but these are BIG. Jake gives a good chase, but they weave about so fast, that they are in the tree and away so fast, he doesn't have a chance at catching one. I do worry though, because sometimes they literally pop out in front of us, and I worry Jake will catch one that way... I also worry because I have seen babies! Thankfully, Jake gives up very easily and comes when I call (I say he gives up, but maybe I am just not giving him enough credit for doing as he is told ).

I know one dog though who disappears for 20 minutes plus because he starts the chase, and then is on the scent and just keeps going! If Jake was anything like that, he would not be getting off lead.

A deer shot out the trees the other day and was running at Arrow, but once it saw Arrow there, it changed direction... Arrow just looked at it like Was so funny, he just stood there like 'WTH is that???'
That was exactly the reaction from Bella (supposed to be a rat catching breed!) the first time she saw a squirrel here in the UK! Stood stock still and just looked SO puzzled!

*she chases them through the parks like a loony now though. Doubt she will ever catch one (unless she learns to climb trees) same as she will never catch any of the lizards she chases back in Cyprus!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by nikkoo View Post
My Slovak did exactly the same with her Golden Retriever friend
Ehhh?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Dont beat yourself - or your dog up
We do tend to forget they are dogs - and a deer darting about in the undergrowth most dogs will give chase without even thinking - its a reflex
I agree with the above if my dogs go off at any point in the woods I dont do a load of shouting - I keep very very quiet
I find if you shout when they are ignoring you then its almost like comforting for them - they know they are having fun chasing and they know where you are
If you keep quiet then the panic sets in sooner that they might be loosing you
I wait about 1 min then give 1 call if they are not back - thats usually enough that they come racing back if they lost their barings a bit

Dont be mad at her tho - she did nothing wrong. WOrk on recals and leave its and being really fun on walks - and realise that sometimes stuff happens
- I was out last week with the boyfriend, Mia was playing with a toy - suddenly she tossed it aside and pounced and came up with a vole which she dispached and started eating - he got very squemish saying 'couldnt you stop her killing that?' But in all honestly I dont think she knew she was going to kill it till it was dead - it was such a fast reflex action rather than any thought
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Thank you all for your supportive comments - I will definitely work on Milly's recall. I had thought she was brilliant with it, but obviously not

I'm going to avoid that particular area for some time I think, luckily for us there are lots of places to walk around here so we have plenty of choice.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
That's been Spens reaction so far. 3 times now he's had a deer start up just under his nose, 3 times he's just stood there watching it and then gone back to sniffing around. Knowing my luck he'll take off after one when I least expect it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2