Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Here is the info for applying for the Western Team for Crufts Regionals.

http://www.obedienceuk.com/news/news...asp?NewsID=495
We're still pre-beginners - the show just gone was her 2nd ever show (and first KC one!). The lowest level here is beginner.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone.

Its not Jins fault at all, its my stupid age. > How can I enjoy my next birthday now knowing its the only thing that stopped me achieving something I never thought possible??? Its madness!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh what a shame
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
But I didnt fail - I qualified, thats what hurts the most.

And Jinty is limited in what she can actually get into Crufts for; I cant "show" her as she isn't a recognised breed, we can't do flyball their as they have their "own" rules and won't lower the jumps for smaller dogs.....obedience is alot fiercer at normal level....small dogs cant work superglued to the leg like mals and collies. I didnt see any small dogs this year.....

She'd kick ass in the "Crufts got talent" or whatever that was but dont think they're doing it again.

Sigh.
Well you failed due to dates, whatever.

You can take the defeatist approach and make the (untrue) assertion that small dogs can't work superglued to the leg like mals and colies, or you can go and actually watch some obedience competitions which feature small dogs.

My friend is competing in "C" only with a SBT! And there are plenty more small dogs including German Spitz etc.

Just because you have not actually SEEN them does not mean they do not exist!

Why not go on a workshop with someone like Kamal Fernandez who works a German Spitz? He will show you what small dogs CAN do.

Here is one of his workshops not far from you.

http://www.obedienceuk.com/c20121229a.asp

So why not try out for Crufts Western Region?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:03 PM
We're still pre-beginners - the show just gone was her 2nd ever show (and first KC one!). The lowest level here is beginner.
You can enter even if you have not competed in Obedience.

What have you got to lose?

But, if you would prefer not to try, that is of course your prerogative................
WufWufs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2012, 07:09 PM
..obedience is alot fiercer at normal level....small dogs cant work superglued to the leg like mals and collies. I didnt see any small dogs this year.....
They don't expect small dogs to work on the leg like collies in Obedience, you can go to any obedience show and see small breeds working...there's a lovely little dog qualified in the Special Prebeginners this year, Papillon I think? Plus if you watch the Regionals from last year on YouTube there is a woman with a Sheltie in Beginners, and in previous years there have been several Corgis in the higher classes!

Doesn't the YKC state that membership/eligibility ends on your 25th birthday? You didn't enter a heat, qualify and have it 'taken away' - you entered a heat despite being not eligible You'll be eligible for Prebeginners again next year....
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well you failed due to dates, whatever.

You can take the defeatist approach and make the (untrue) assertion that small dogs can't work superglued to the leg like mals and colies, or you can go and actually watch some obedience competitions which feature small dogs.

My friend is competing in "C" only with a SBT! And there are plenty more small dogs including German Spitz etc.

Just because you have not actually SEEN them does not mean they do not exist!

Why not go on a workshop with someone like Kamal Fernandez who works a German Spitz? He will show you what small dogs CAN do.

Here is one of his workshops not far from you.

http://www.obedienceuk.com/c20121229a.asp

So why not try out for Crufts Western Region?
Thanks for the link, I'm calling tomorrow. I'd love to see someone work a small dog and be shown how. Jins a quick learner, its me that fails her....I have no experience or knowledge of obedience, and all the dog trainers at my training club handle normal sized dogs too! However, the chairman works Corgi's and I'm starting her classes (monthly) this Winter, it'll be ace, and for small dogs only.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by WufWufs View Post
Doesn't the YKC state that membership/eligibility ends on your 25th birthday? You didn't enter a heat, qualify and have it 'taken away' - you entered a heat despite being not eligible You'll be eligible for Prebeginners again next year....

Absolutely correct it states membership criteria quite clearly in the rules (Rule 4)

http://www.ykc.org.uk/about-us/ykc-r...nd-regulations
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by WufWufs View Post
They don't expect small dogs to work on the leg like collies in Obedience, you can go to any obedience show and see small breeds working...there's a lovely little dog qualified in the Special Prebeginners this year, Papillon I think? Plus if you watch the Regionals from last year on YouTube there is a woman with a Sheltie in Beginners, and in previous years there have been several Corgis in the higher classes!

I joined YKC upon instruction a few weeks ago by a friend, I didnt expect to qualify and was lead to believe the age of qualifying mattered .... Whats the point in 24 yr olds competing in the YKC at all if not allowed to go to the biggest event? There was no mention of anything on the schedule or at the event mentioning age.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:15 PM
I joined YKC upon instruction a few weeks ago by a friend, I didnt expect to qualify and was lead to believe the age of qualifying mattered .... Whats the point in 24 yr olds competing in the YKC at all if not allowed to go to the biggest event? There was no mention of anything on the schedule or at the event mentioning age.
Don't wish to sound mean but it's up to you to check you are eligible, not the schedules.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >