View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 02:20 PM
It's weird, but my 2 northern breeds with their very heavy double coats handle it fine. Windows open in their bedroom of course, and they tend to lie in the shade in the garden rather than the conservatory, otherwise they are fine. OH avoids the heat of midday, but it is still very hot when they are taken out. He says he is dripping in sweat, but they are roaring around chasing rabbits! He is walking them at the moment in an area which is fed with a lovely deep clean stream so they have a lovely swim at the end.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have the fan on and all the windows open. And water in most rooms. Daisy and Prince had a swim in the boating lake first thing. Raz hasn`t moved all day. Shamus is sunbathing (there`s always one...)

Daughter's chihuahuas sunbathe - in the conservatory!! They're mad ... although I guess coming from Mexico it's understandable. They look so sweet, all 3 of them, spread out like horses lying down in a field. Occasionally Gucci will roll onto his back and expose his testicles whilst bearing his teeth, he looks so funny!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It's weird, but my 2 northern breeds with their very heavy double coats handle it fine. Windows open in their bedroom of course, and they tend to lie in the shade in the garden rather than the conservatory, otherwise they are fine. OH avoids the heat of midday, but it is still very hot when they are taken out. He says he is dripping in sweat, but they are roaring around chasing rabbits! He is walking them at the moment in an area which is fed with a lovely deep clean stream so they have a lovely swim at the end.
I don't understand why you would take them out when it is "still very hot"?

Dogs can be "roaring around chasing rabbits" one minute and then collapse from heat exhaustion the next. Sorry but I don't see why anyone would risk their dog like that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't understand why you would take them out when it is "still very hot"?

Dogs can be "roaring around chasing rabbits" one minute and then collapse from heat exhaustion the next. Sorry but I don't see why anyone would risk their dog like that.
In case you hadn't noticed, it is hot from very early in the morning to late at night at the moment. I have no idea exactly when the dogs are walked as I am at work, but OH tells me he avoids the hottest part of the day.

My dogs are far too intelligent to allow themselves to get heat exhaustion. You would never think it possible with their double coats, but they do not appear to suffer unduly from the heat. Please allow us to know our own dogs better than anyone else. We have had these double coated dogs for 15 years now, and they all dash round like loonies in the heat and do not appear to suffer. Sometimes they don't, and are calmer, which presumably is when they ARE feeling the heat. Intelligent dogs
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 06:48 PM
My Tibetans don't do well in the heat. I've been getting up and walking them before 7am and again around 9pm.
I had the windows all open until about 10am then close all windows and blinds that face south until early evening. With a fan running in our kitchen it is amazing how cool the house stays. Lots of water down and they adore ice cubes to chew on.
I hate moaning about the heat but 31 degrees today was too much. I'm looking forward to a more sensible temperature of over the weekend.
WufWufs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Highly recommend a frozen Kong, and a floor level fan - two things which work very well for keeping my longer coated BC cool in this heat! We also have a cool coat which we use on really hot humid days when back from gentle walks.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2012, 07:56 PM
It is coming up to 11pm here and is still too hot to take Pereg out as the pavements and roads are still hot enough to fry and egg on - and I would have to take her on the road in order to get to the nearest grassy area, where there is no lighting. There are very few street lights here in any case.

Even though I have good lights on The Silver Monster I am still not prepared to drive over grass I cannot see clearly, especially as I just cannot see well in the dark.

The only time the roads are probably cool enough not to burn the pads on her paws is maybe 3 or 4am but with the little sleep I already get, going out at that time is not an option.

During the Pereg lays where the air-conditioning blows on her - and that can be a booger at night as she wants to spread out under the air-con unit in my bedroom, which means she is spread out all across the foot of the bed. So she copes - I am really not coping very well and we have another few months of this yet.

The rest of my bungalow is like a furnace and is to be avoided as much as possible.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:10 PM
It's easy here. Just set the aircon to about 24 in all rooms. Ceiling fans in all rooms too and floor fans.

Then Bella goes and hides under my blanket because she likes the heat!

I do recall occasions when I slept outside in the garden in the UK on the rare occasions we had a hot summer!

Hey I do that here sometimes too!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Our front curtains are almost always closed (because of Jon's paranoia, he thinks people are looking in at him) and this seems to stop the house getting as hot as it used to (in the years before he moved in with me) because the afternoon sun is at the front. We have the back door and back windows open, and Guinness has the fan if it's still too warm in here.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:37 AM
My Chihuahua loves the heat, he lays in the conservatory most of the day but when it's really hot and sunny he lays out on the patio, I have to bring him in the house sometimes just to give him a break. Last summer I thought I'd lost him, but no he was laid in a terracotta pot on the hot soil strange dog, awaiting next escapade!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >