Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Fair nuff, your privilege, but I disagree. We are talking about NATURAL here. There is nothing NATURAL about good quality commercial food and appropriate leftover (human) scraps ... these are foods that we CHOOSE to give our dogs, they are not their natural diet, no more than KFC and chips are our natural diet.
So please do tell what is the natural diet of our domesticed dogs, you know the ones we keep confined to our homes , dictate what and where they go.

When was the last time our domesticated pets are allowed to go roam the wild to feed on a natural diet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So please do tell what is the natural diet of our domesticed dogs, you know the ones we keep confined to our homes , dictate what and where they go.

When was the last time our domesticated pets are allowed to go roam the wild to feed on a natural diet.
You are completely missing the point. What you are talking about is NOTHING to do with nature. You are talking about the "icing on the cake" as I like to call it. Something as basic, important and fundamental as diet is the very core of every animal's being, including us. We are what we eat is extremely true, and that applies to our dogs as well.

The natural diet of a mainly carnivorous canid is raw muscle meat, organs, bones, skin, fur and feather, including stomach contents. In addition, raw roots, fruits, insects when available.

We are not talking about whether or not our domesticated dogs are at liberty to roam at will as is their natural habitat, we are talking about what is their natural diet, and their natural diet is a mainly carnivorous diet of RAW prey, not a tin of Pedigree Chum or a bag of kibble.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I guess you would get a different answer for every person you would ask

I suppose if you say a dogs natural environment is with man then his natural food is whatever he can get off of man
But
That dosent mean that they have actually adapted and evolved to thrive on the diets we feed them, just that they cope with it

Then again you could say that with any domestic animal - they have eaten all sorts of rubbish we have fed them - but its not always the best for them

Dogs are carnivores, they can survive on other things but their teeth, the fact the make their own vit c, their digestive system and by my own observations they thrive on a meat diet whereas they survive on a high carbohydrate diet
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a natural diet for dogs. Raw suits some but not others., wet suits some, dry suits some etc. We have changed so many characteristics by breeding each breed for a different purpose every one is different and therefore every one has different needs.

I'd love to say raw is their natural diet and in theory it should be but dogs are effectively man made and some require man made products to survive.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I really don't accept that my dogs are merely surviving on what I feed them. Granted I've only had my girl a month and she's still a bit grotty but my male dog who's been with me from a pup and fed mainly commercial food is in absolutely beautiful condition and health (if I do say so myself) and I defy anyone who's met him to say otherwise.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
There is absolutely no reason at all why our dogs should not survive and even thrive on a diet that to me is completely un-natural, ie a diet of commercial food. Millions do. But it still is not NATURAL. The modern day diet of humans is not natural, being far too high in carbohydrate, and yet millions of us survive into our 80's and 90's, but this does not make it natural.

The natural diet of a primarily carnivrrous canid is raw muscle meat, organs, stomach contents, bones, skin, fur and feather, plus a few roots, fruits, eggs, whatever extra they can find. Domestication does not somehow change their genetics. They are what their genes dictate.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
There is absolutely no reason at all why our dogs should not survive and even thrive on a diet that to me is completely un-natural, ie a diet of commercial food. Millions do. But it still is not NATURAL. The modern day diet of humans is not natural, being far too high in carbohydrate, and yet millions of us survive into our 80's and 90's, but this does not make it natural.

The natural diet of a primarily carnivrrous canid is raw muscle meat, organs, stomach contents, bones, skin, fur and feather, plus a few roots, fruits, eggs, whatever extra they can find. Domestication does not somehow change their genetics. They are what their genes dictate.
Hmmmm domestication most certainly does change an animals genetics. Hence why the phenotype of my spaniel differs from that of a wolf - it's genotype is different. A dogs genes dictate it to be a dog, and as dogs are man made I'm not sure they really have a natural diet.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Sounds like 'unnatural' diets are doing us good then. And just maybe they're doing our dogs good too. If I left my dogs' lives to nature they'd be out in the rain right now.
Riddled with fleas and worms, unprotected from diseases and breeding willy nilly. They probably wouldn't eat every day either, and wouldn't be likely to make double figures. I'd rather do things the unnatural way, and I think my dogs would agree.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Sounds like 'unnatural' diets are doing us good then. And just maybe they're doing our dogs good too. If I left my dogs' lives to nature they'd be out in the rain right now.
Riddled with fleas and worms, unprotected from diseases and breeding willy nilly. They probably wouldn't eat every day either, and wouldn't be likely to make double figures. I'd rather do things the unnatural way, and I think my dogs would agree.
Yep this idea that natural equals best always confuses me. All these years of scientific advancement yet people want to "go back to nature." Half of us (and our dogs) wouldn't be here if things were left to nature.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
In reply to original OP, I would say a dog's natural diet is what it has been over the last few hundred years. Which is a bit of everything. - raw, cooked, scraps etc. Anything it can get.

I really wish people would chill a bit. What would you think is a human's natural diet?
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »