View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:04 AM
For me it comes down to whatever takes my fancy at the time.

But that said, I have had a Lab in my life since I was born so being without one would be pretty weird. I suspect when my current one goes (hopefully not for a long time -- he is only 9) another will appear. They are no trouble so I would have no worries there.

There are quite a few breeds I am interested in so I think if I get the opportunity and the time is right, why not try them?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Hmmm a difficult one.

One half of me wants a little rescue terrier (just always wanted a terrier and now I think one would fit our lifestyle) but the other half of me wants a safe family rescue Akita again because I know them so well and most importantly, they're great with kids.

Either way it'll definately be a tried and tested rescue
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I would happily have another collie or a collie cross were it not for my OH's allergies and the fact that I can't cope with the shedding It will probably end up being a standard poodle since that was the breed I originally wanted before I started looking at whippets, however I don't see me getting another puppy any time soon unless my OH starts to work from home and finding one in a rescue is probably not the easiest task so could well be another whippet/sighthound of some description.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Both my dogs have been rescue mutss/crosses and I'd be more than happy to get another rescue mutt/cross in the future ( but probably not GSD x Akita!). However Cain has made me really think about what traits I want in my ideal dog. I've realised that gun dogs in general appears to tick most of the boxes, and the toller appeals to me a bit more than a big standard lab or goldie. I know nothing is guaranteed but I'm hoping by picking a breed carefully I should be able to do all the things with me dog that I wish I could, but currently can't do
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I not sure I'd have a CKC again. i've bookmarked loads in the last 72 hours, but i don't really want another CKC i just want another Sweep. Greyhounds i want to if i have the ££ run a rescue for black greyhounds, so yes ha.

I've always wanted a pug. I think they are a fun little dog, which is adaptable and they have fantastic characters.

Dobermann I met my friends and fell in love with the dog. I love their characters, the way they look. I love hw intelligent they are. They are amazing.

Malinios I love BSD, i love the way they look again intelligence and i'd love to have a go and Shutzhund etc. I've wanted one for a long time, done my reading up and all. I think they'd be a good breed for me

lots of other breeds I'm interested in. Those are "in the foreseeable future" breeds though.

other half is currently seriously considering a Frenchie in the next 12 months. He dogsits a friends (who would be the mum of the pup if he gets one). He loves the way they look, how people oriented they are. Not through the roof exercise requirements but not lazy. Not barkers, short coats and pretty patient. He also wants a pom cause the one at crufts made him laugh! Not any valid reason.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:33 AM
For me, my next dog will be the Dogue de Bordeaux. While Great Danes are my passion and probably always will be, there is no other Luke. The relationship I have with him is such that having another GD after him would be impossible for me. I know me, and no matter how much I might love the dog, he would just never be Luke. I would forever be afraid of or feel guilty for that ever present feeling that the new dog could never measure up. Luke to me, is perfection. We are truly soul mates in every way. Can I love another dog? Oh I'm sure in time I can. Will it be anything like the way Luke and I are together? NEVER. I know me, I know that.
The mastiff's are the breeds that suit me best, lifestyle and personality wise. The DDB is my favourite out of the mastiff's. So that is what I will have
If that is I don't do what everyone who really knows me believes I will do...which is go right along with Luke when it's his time to leave
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes I made that mistake with my Weimy, I should have had A N Other breed between the one I lost unexpectedly at 4 and her (and in fact was offered pick of litter of A N Other breed).

I have never felt about her the way I feel I should, even though she is so accomplished and practically faultless.
Aww that is sad

I do know what you mean though. I lost my border collie prematurely and unexpectedly when he was just short of his sixth birthday. My father in law had a litter of collie pups and brought two up, hoping I would fall for one and therefore "replace" the one I had lost. I tried to fall in love with the pup, and he was totally lovely, but I just couldn't. I think, for me, it was just too soon.

I can't imagine not getting another GSD though, so will probably alternate between dog and bitch. Although I think I will probably get down to either just one and definitely no more than two, eventually.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I lost my first whippet at only 2 . She was the most beautiful , gentle sweet whippet ever . 6 weeks later I got another whippet she turned out to be the complete opposite in fact a friend described her as the whippet from hell ! She turned out to be the dog love of my life . She lived to be 15 .
I love everything about whippets , they are the breeed of dog that just totally suits me
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Well if someone told me a year ago that I would like another breed as much as BC's I would have just laughed. BC's all the way. Other half didn't feel that way so set out looking for another breed he liked. I was just happy with something compatible with BC's. Then I spent more and more time with Finnish Lapphunds and finally last year got our first. They are such an interesting breed fitting in very well with the BC's but with a character i feel unique to them. They have won me round completely. No more dogs for a while. Three works but when the time comes to choose another, i think it may just be another lappie
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Really interesting hearing about 'second dog syndrome'...it's made me wonder if I could love another Greyhound the same as Axel as I adore him completely. Having said that, I think we'd probably go for a colour other than black next to hopefully help ease the liklihood of that happening. I can't imagine having another breed, so if for some reason we couldn't face another Greyhound, then maybe it would be a Lurcher next (I quite like the bull lurchers that are coming into GG at the moment)..but until that time comes, I won't know.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >