View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:06 PM
It's just safer to have him muzzled as he has gone gone for you and a kid in the past.

You know he is capable of bitting, it would be terrible if he bit someone while out or seriously injured the vet.

It could just be that he does'nt like being touched in certain areas but that could be down to a health complaint as others have suggested.

It would also look a lot worse if you new he was capable of bitting someone and chose not to muzzle him and he ended up going for someone.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
It's just safer to have him muzzled as he has gone gone for you and a kid in the past.

You know he is capable of bitting, it would be terrible if he bit someone while out or seriously injured the vet.

It could just be that he does'nt like being touched in certain areas but that could be down to a health complaint as others have suggested.

It would also look a lot worse if you new he was capable of bitting someone and chose not to muzzle him and he ended up going for someone.
I dont think there is any need to muzzle him when out,,,and that is not what has been suggested!

I would explain to the vet to make them aware, it may be that they choose to pop a muzzle on him to enable them to do a thorough check over to ensure no pain etc without the risk of being bitten, it will be up to the individual vet whether they want him muzzled or not, hence why its better for you to explain beforehand.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I wouldn't say he went for me! I'm sorry if I may have over dramatised the situation - he did snap but he could have very easily bitten me if he wanted to.

I know I'm not an expert but I do think him warning me he didn't like something can be confused with aggression. He is not aggressive under any stretch of the imagination!

I've called the vet and they have a muzzle there if he feels the need to muzzle him while checking him over. One of the reasons Riley was saved was because his vet felt he wasn't aggressive at all because she could prod him around without fear.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post

I really hate the idea of muzzles and would like to avoid using one at all costs.
I really do not understand a) why you hate the idea of muzzles and b) would like to avoid using one at all costs?

What you decide to do (and what the vet decides to do) is entirely up to you (and him).

Both my current dogs have been trained to be accustomed to muzzles (both of whom have exemplary temperaments) jic they may ever be needed.

Also, vets deal with a lot of dogs and I always take one in with me in case the vet prefers to examine the dog with a muzzle on.

This means the whole process is stress free for the dog, the vet and me!

It is all part of dog training. When my dogs are bandaged it means they do not go berserk if I have to muzzle them to prevent the ripping their stitches etc out.

So don't demonise muzzles, they are effective management tools which can prevent injury and increase relaxation.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I really do not understand a) why you hate the idea of muzzles and b) would like to avoid using one at all costs?
I guess I always think of muzzles in a walking sense than a vet trip sense - and to me, the muzzles I've seen seem to reduce the ability to pant as well as covering noses.

But I can see how it would be preferable to a lampshade and put vet at ease.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I would echo everyone else.

I think muzzles are a useful tool in certain circumtances. A well fitted basket muzzle will allow the dog to pant, drink and take treats.

When my dog developed conjunctivitus she was incredibly snappy when I went near her eyes. Slowly I clicker trained her to allow me to approach her eyes.

Providing nothing medically is causing him pain I think you just need to build up grooming slowly.

My dog doesn't love being groomed so I make sure I provide enough rewards, or give her something to chew whilst I brush her legs. In addition she prefers to be groomed in the garden where she is distracted by smells.
Kestral can sometimes turn to snap if I mistakenly brush her legs too hard and she's getting fed up so you do have to be careful not to overdo it and make it a positive experience.

Start by touching the dog with the brush and treating. Build it up very slowly and create a positive association with being groomed.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Riley has irritated, dry and a little scabby skin which I think explains his dislike of the pin brush.
I changed his food last night anyway, as he was on Pedigree Chum which I dislike, but didn't want to change to a new home and new food straight away. However, what was coming out smelt the exact same as what went in, and it was driving me a little mental feeding him food which I don't feel he's getting much out of.

He was extremely well behaved in the vets, and gave the vet a lick even after his vaccine. So I don't think we have to worry about muzzling him there just yet.

Vet did comment he was quite 'independent' minded. He will be going for the chop Tuesday so hopefully this may go some way to help.

Going to go about buying a clicker later and start on this training, not sure if pet shops sell them as never looked to be honest.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Riley was slightly unplanned so it's a case of reading up on the best things for him as we go unfortunately, good to get the opinions of others!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 02:48 PM
If you are looking for a clicker you'd be better getting one from the internet as I have yet to find a pet shop that sells a good one. I recommend Karen Pryor's i click & you can get her starter clicker pack on line
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2