View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I think you are only fostering him? If so, has any consideration been given to whether he would make a working dog?

I say this because the issues that a collie meets in every day life as a pet are far more stressful than the things that a working dog usually has to deal with. And if he were to enjoy the work, that in itself would calm him.

At 18 months it wouldn't be impossible for him to still make a working dog, though he would need someone willing to put in the time.

I think it would be worth you contacting Border Collie Rescue. Unfortunately they are likely to be full with dogs wanting homes, but they may be able to offer some help, may be assess his work ability etc?

It isn't impossible for him to be a pet, but he would need a very experienced home and realistically I think there is more chance (if he shows aptitude) of finding him a working home where he will be happy than finding a suitable pet home.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think you are only fostering him? If so, has any consideration been given to whether he would make a working dog?

I say this because the issues that a collie meets in every day life as a pet are far more stressful than the things that a working dog usually has to deal with. And if he were to enjoy the work, that in itself would calm him.

At 18 months it wouldn't be impossible for him to still make a working dog, though he would need someone willing to put in the time.

I think it would be worth you contacting Border Collie Rescue. Unfortunately they are likely to be full with dogs wanting homes, but they may be able to offer some help, may be assess his work ability etc?

It isn't impossible for him to be a pet, but he would need a very experienced home and realistically I think there is more chance (if he shows aptitude) of finding him a working home where he will be happy than finding a suitable pet home.
Some good points Hali.

The BC Rescue in Yorkshire assess any rescue collie's aptitude for sheep work, as does Barbara Sykes.

http://www.bordercollierescue.org/
http://www.bordercollies.co.uk/
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Border Collie rescue will not place Barney in foster due to his issues.

Also I have taken him to a trainer that assesses border collies for aptitude to make a working dog. The day I took him for assessment the trainer took him to the sheep, he would not look at them, then another handler took him in and removed his line, still no luck. I had a go as I had met Barney the previous day and found it hard to believe he was not interested in sheep and felt he was just overwhelmed with so much happening in 24 hours (new environment/people/etc when I walked away with the sheep he became interested and started moving around the sheep.

I have since taken him to training and he was keen and the same trainer came in to work him as I was struggling to keep the pace. She then got Barney under control and he did quite well. So, he could potentially go to a working home but a home needs to be found.

In the meantime, I have said I will foster him but don't hold out much hope via border collie rescue as they have been contacted regarding Barney.

My gut feeling is the OH was the trigger. I have been watching him and in fairness I am the one that has been gaining Barney's trust and we were doing well. Hence, I was the one that copped it and am asking OH to ignore him for the time being and not handling Barney when OH is in and out of the room.

Two potential homes haven't worked out and I am just going back to the beginning with Barney to regain any lost trust. I don't believe he will make an agility or flyball dog as he becomes aroused too easily and has no self-control.

I may well not be the best person to foster Barney but he does not have a lot of choices so I can only do my best.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Ouch poor you hope you heal quickly!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Ouch poor you
I had experience of this with a couple of Border Collie rescues, no known history....Reah, god rest her soul, had me 4 times leaving open wounds, she had my son's leg, and one vet in particular

It was a long road for us as I decided to keep her and it took 2 1/2 years for her to gain the trust of people, but I think for the time being if you need to do anything like this again a muzzle will be your best protection.

Tess is another Collie I watch although she is very people people certain things can trigger her especially if she is put into a situation which concerns/worries her and she will fight rather than flight.
We had a stupid incident the other day when my foster son brought a mate home he and she were playing nicely but she took her eyes off him for a few seconds and he removed his cap, when she turned back to him she must of thought he was someone different, luckily I always supervise and I saw that mino second body language change and caught her before she managed to lunge at him...barking like mad I had to get him to put his cap back on and remove it again....then once she knew it was him again she started playing again...such a simple thing to us was a trigger for her
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Thanks for your responses.

Border Collie rescue will not place Barney in foster due to his issues.

Also I have taken him to a trainer that assesses border collies for aptitude to make a working dog. The day I took him for assessment the trainer took him to the sheep, he would not look at them, then another handler took him in and removed his line, still no luck. I had a go as I had met Barney the previous day and found it hard to believe he was not interested in sheep and felt he was just overwhelmed with so much happening in 24 hours (new environment/people/etc when I walked away with the sheep he became interested and started moving around the sheep.

I have since taken him to training and he was keen and the same trainer came in to work him as I was struggling to keep the pace. She then got Barney under control and he did quite well. So, he could potentially go to a working home but a home needs to be found.

In the meantime, I have said I will foster him but don't hold out much hope via border collie rescue as they have been contacted regarding Barney.

My gut feeling is the OH was the trigger. I have been watching him and in fairness I am the one that has been gaining Barney's trust and we were doing well. Hence, I was the one that copped it and am asking OH to ignore him for the time being and not handling Barney when OH is in and out of the room.

Two potential homes haven't worked out and I am just going back to the beginning with Barney to regain any lost trust. I don't believe he will make an agility or flyball dog as he becomes aroused too easily and has no self-control.

I may well not be the best person to foster Barney but he does not have a lot of choices so I can only do my best.
Usually, in a really driven young collie the environment etc etc wouldn't change their behaviour a great deal once they saw sheep. So, from your description I would say that Barney could make a working dog (would have to see him at work though, do you have any video?) but possibly only for someone dabbling with a few sheep, rather than someone needing a strong working dog for a job, if you see what I mean. Of course, all dogs are different and you sometimes find an older working dog won't work for a new handler initially, however a young, untrained dog is usually raring to chase after sheep - but not always There is no such thing as predictable when working with dogs

I think you are doing a great job in fostering him, and hopefully, given time, he will find the right home to suit his temperament and needs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Do what vets do with 'unpredictable' dogs - muzzle him.

I'd be more worried what might spook a dog like then if out and about with him. I mean if he viciously attacked you so hard that you had to kick him to get him to release you?

I'm really surprised that there is any hope of rehoming a dog who has these sort of issues and hope you do tell those responsible for homing the dog about this incident.

I admire you for fostering - I couldn't possibly foster a dog with these sort of issues. I do hope your wounds heal up OK.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 09:03 AM
My hubby has said he would be interested to see a video of Barney at training if you have one, and then he could better assess his suitability for a working home.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Usually, in a really driven young collie the environment etc etc wouldn't change their behaviour a great deal once they saw sheep. So, from your description I would say that Barney could make a working dog (would have to see him at work though, do you have any video?) but possibly only for someone dabbling with a few sheep, rather than someone needing a strong working dog for a job, if you see what I mean. Of course, all dogs are different and you sometimes find an older working dog won't work for a new handler initially, however a young, untrained dog is usually raring to chase after sheep - but not always There is no such thing as predictable when working with dogs
I totally get what you are saying and my instinct tells me the same. A little job with a few sheep could be just what this lad needs.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My hubby has said he would be interested to see a video of Barney at training if you have one, and then he could better assess his suitability for a working home.
I do have a bit of video footage, not very good quality.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >