View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I have 2 ISDS and KC registered Border Collies, a Farm Border Collie and they live with fetal, domestic and my 4 Pedigree cats

All ours are ID Chipped, Neutered, fully injected, have Program injectons twice a year and are wormed every 3 months

My difference all mine are rescues including my 2 Ragdolls my former TICA Champion NFC and my slightly Physcothic Bengal - the last 2 were abandoned and both were severely underweight and had issues now a year on with a lot of hard work and claw marks they are happy healthy cats who adore the dogs

I love all my cats - all 62 of them and ensure they are all in at night and have the best of food as do the dogs I am a responsible owner and give a dam about all of mine domestic, Pedigree and feral cats and my beloved Border collies
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I dont think that cat owners are less responsible or care less about their pets than dog owners, cats are just so darn easy to take care of!

When I first got my baby Galoreyn, the only thing we had to do was get him vaccinated. He already knew how to use the littler box and he was a major cuddle bug, he's a very easy-going boy. Now with my puppy on the other hand, he makes me feel like I cant do anything right he chews whatever he can get into his mouth, used to defecate wherever he wanted, cries when he doesnt get his way, and bites even when we tell him no. Dogs are simply ALOT more work than cats.

As for the pedigree thing, I'm not sure why cats aren't more recognized. Perhaps because no matter what the cat may be technically called, they are all generally easy to take care of? I know that throughout dog breeds, each has characteristics that can make it more or less appealing to individuals, such as working dogs or hounds. Then there are energy levels to consider, as well as size and general temperament throughout the breed....maybe cats are more of a universal pet whilst dogs take a little more consideration.

Just my thoughts
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I think there is less need to get a pedigree cat than dog, as there is much less difference in size and behaviour. The main difference is looks, though I have a beautiful long coated moggy. With dogs, you would chose a breed to fit in with your lifestyle, but cats are generally just cats.
This is kind of the point I am also trying to raise. I disagree completely because a Siamese is completely different in character to that of say a Ragdoll or a Scottish Fold.

A Bengal too is also very different in looks and in character. just like with dogs pedigree cats have their looks and temperments otherwise what would be the point of breeding cats?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by bfetterman View Post
I dont think that cat owners are less responsible or care less about their pets than dog owners, cats are just so darn easy to take care of!

When I first got my baby Galoreyn, the only thing we had to do was get him vaccinated. He already knew how to use the littler box and he was a major cuddle bug, he's a very easy-going boy. Now with my puppy on the other hand, he makes me feel like I cant do anything right he chews whatever he can get into his mouth, used to defecate wherever he wanted, cries when he doesnt get his way, and bites even when we tell him no. Dogs are simply ALOT more work than cats.

As for the pedigree thing, I'm not sure why cats aren't more recognized. Perhaps because no matter what the cat may be technically called, they are all generally easy to take care of? I know that throughout dog breeds, each has characteristics that can make it more or less appealing to individuals, such as working dogs or hounds. Then there are energy levels to consider, as well as size and general temperament throughout the breed....maybe cats are more of a universal pet whilst dogs take a little more consideration.

Just my thoughts
Some cats require much more care then others such as Ragdolls and persians would need a lot of grooming to keep them tangle free and it would probably be advised to keep them indoors at night to prevent theft as they are one of the more recognised breeds.

Some breeds of cats I know you need to go more out of your way to care for them then others just as you do with dogs.

The good thing about a heinz cat is that they are generally more independent then most breeds.

However it really does depend as my neighbours keep siamese cats who seem very independent. They are quite capable of cornering a fox and are very intelelegent.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
This is kind of the point I am also trying to raise. I disagree completely because a Siamese is completely different in character to that of say a Ragdoll or a Scottish Fold.

A Bengal too is also very different in looks and in character. just like with dogs pedigree cats have their looks and temperments otherwise what would be the point of breeding cats?
There may be some differences, but in general, most cats would fit into most households.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Cats are simply PURRRFECT, period!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't see it as cat owners being less responsible people, I just think dogs being dogs come with more responsibilities. So maybe more effort is made to make sure that dog owners are looking after their dogs, keeping them out of trouble and owning a dog with a suitable size / energy level / instincts / ability etc, so certain breeds are wanted.
I think most cats do not have the same capability to impact (for want of a better phrase ) on your life style, hobbies, work or on other members of the public like many dogs can. So making sure you get a certain type of a cat is maybe less important so there is not such a need to look into breeds??
I'm not a cat breed expert though (and couldn't say a dog breed expert either!) so maybe I'm showing ignorance ? Just my current opinion though and I hope I'm not just repeating what other have said too much!

BTW we have two cats one a rescue and another we rescued! Very different characters!
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Is not just the Pedigree cats who need grooming Owning 2 ragdolls and an NFC 2 out of 3 loved to be brushed the other is work in progress and then I have my queue of my domestic longhairs and even the shorthairs want brushed add in the 3 dogs and I could spend all day grooming them!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2