View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Looks typical of a working bred Springer. Their legs can be quite deformed, show bred ones are not.

They can cause problems if they are very severe, but your puppy doesnt look too bad to me. Im not a vet though!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't have any experience myself with Springers (or Cockers) but you have a very handsome puppy there! Sounds like you are giving him a great diet. His coat looks lovely in your pictures. If you are worried about his legs you might want to go a little easy on the exercise-- not too easy; just let him romp at his own pace and watch it on the stairs and stuff.
Best wishes to you!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Looks typical of a working bred Springer. Their legs can be quite deformed, show bred ones are not.

They can cause problems if they are very severe, but your puppy doesnt look too bad to me. Im not a vet though!
Agree with Dawn, puppy looks OK to me, and to be honest the pic of his legs look like his growth plate.............I really hope your vet knows that!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 03:45 PM
I haven't got a clue what to look for! Perhaps if it was a photo taken front on with the pup standing up?

Hope you get more reassurance from this other vet who is seeing him.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I've seen a couple of Spaniels with slightly bowed legs and a friend's JR has got Queen Anne front legs, they are really bowed but haven't given her any trouble, she's 13 next week.

You might want to look up a condition called carpal valgus. The 2 long bones in the leg grow at different rates and vets can take a bit off the longer bone, sometimes they use metal rings outside (like scaffolding), I looked after a dog that had this done. It has to be done before the growth plates close. TBH it wasn't successful and when I mentioned it to my vet he said one of the other vets had their dog operated on and it didn't make very much difference. It may be down to who does the op but you need to get another opinion anyway.

Your dog doesn't look anywhere near as extreme as the one I looked after.

Good luck.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Yep ive seen working springers who were small with shorter bowed looking legs.

Standing up frontal photo would be better

Hope pup is ok, he is a wee poppet x
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your interest and your replies.

Well, have been trying to get a full frontal standing up picture but not succeeded yet. The problem is when he is standing up he is never still long enough for me to take a picture , he always moves and then its just a blur. I have took a few, they are not very good, the one in the cage probably shows them the best.

No i am not showing anyone my legs

ok maybe one then

ok maybe two

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:40 AM
No i am not showing anyone my legs

Best picture caption of the day! Perfect!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:56 AM
His left leg does look a bit "off" in that frontal pic, but again I've seen working springers like that before. None of us on here at vets though so still get her checked out

Wonder why the vet said she thought she was a bit cocker too? Looks perfectly like a working springer to me!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Yep, he has definitely got that "Queen Ann" affect going on , no different that lots of springers , take the time to look around, and you will see many with the same problem.

Trouble is many working folk don`t care about conformation when breeding as long as they have a good drive they will breed from them.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »