View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Bolty what are you getting in a strop about ?your dog isn't a pit so it cant be compared to these dogs anyway , which are imo in tip top condition.yours is a cross isnt she though still a lovely dog!!
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by bolty
Official IOEBA Breed Standard

General Description: The American Pit Bull Terrier instantly gives the impression of being a canine of power, passion and undaunted determination.
The perfect APBT should be of medium to medium large in height and size with a brick-like head, which is especially broad in the cheek area due to the powerful muscles of the jaws. The APBT's muscular body gives the appearance of great athletic ability, a thick neck of medium length runs into a broad, deep and well-sprung chest. The APBT has a broad shoulder area and a thick powerful rear end. The APBT is a very muscular, powerful, yet agile dog which is extremely strong for it's size. The APBT should have an excellent temperament, and are quite intelligent. The temperament is to be very stable, loyal and trustworthy.
Their disposition should be outgoing, playful yet protective when needed.

General Description: The American Pit Bull Terrier instantly gives the impression of being a canine of SPEED, GRACE and ELEGANCE.
The perfect APBT should be of medium to medium large in height and SLIMBULID with a MODERATELY BROAD LONG FLAT head, which is MODERATELY BROAD in the cheek area due to the MUSCLES of the jaws. The APBT's LEAN body gives the appearance of great athletic ability, a thick neck of medium length runs into a THIN, deep and well-sprung chest. The APBT has a LEAN BUT FAIRLY MUSCULAR SHOULDER area and SLENDER MODERATELY POWERFUL rear end. The APBT is a FAIRLY MUSCULAR, GRACEFUL,GENTLE yet agile dog which is extremely strong for it's ELEGANT BUILD. The APBT should have an excellent temperament, and are quite intelligent. The temperament is to be very stable, loyal and trustworthy.
Their disposition should be SHY, RELAXED, AND DOCILE yet ALERT AND ACTIVE when needed.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Not sure what point you are trying to make Bolty? :smt017 If you have any questions please ask and we will try to answer them for you
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by candie
Bolty what are you getting in a strop about ?your dog isn't a pit so it cant be compared to these dogs anyway , which are imo in tip top condition.yours is a cross isnt she though still a lovely dog!!
To me these dogs look alot thinner and underweight than Ruby ever has. People on here said you shouldn't be able to see any of a dogs ribs, on those ABTs you can see the whole ribcage. If i had a dog that looked like this i wouldn't want to be seen walking the streets with it. I don't get how one dog showing one or two ribs can be underweight, (to everyone that saw her,) but a dog that looks like the bottom pic can be a tip top exellent condition god dog. Thats all.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

09-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Bolty, no-one is criticizing you or Ruby It was an opinion that, at her age and with her build, she should be carrying a bit more weight.

The APBTs in the photo - well they are a different breed, a different age, different size, different anatomical structure, have a different function, different exercise regime, different feeding, different training. They are just different from Ruby Many people would think the photographed dogs are 'thin', breed fanciers would probably consider them to be in superb condition. You cannot compare one breed with another.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
so to me a dog is a dog, dose that mean thet a pup should be fat and over weight untill matuer and then they should look like they are starved :smt017
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:51 AM
so to me a dog is a dog, dose that mean thet a pup should be fat and over weight untill matuer and then they should look like they are starved :smt017
Bolty
SB isnt saying this at all, her speech has been slightly taken out of context there.
She sin't saying that you should be able to see X amount of ribs on certain breeds.
It is something called a breed description, some breeds are clearly definaed as racey, ribby, swift etc e.g Whippet, Saluki, Deerhound, but some are described as cobby, meaning just that solidly built, stocky, big boned etc, mastiff types come into this category.

Would you expect to see a saint bernard with ribs showing? no cause they are a well builty sort of cobby dog.
Would you expect too see a huge chest span on a sighthound?o as they are bred to be racey and agile.
it comes down to the standard of which a breed, type or cross bred is bred to. IMO a Bandogge was bred to be a very stocky, well built dog, with a large head, and somewhat large chest span. I may be wrong but this is jsut my opinion.
No lets see if we can get back on track to a thread for pictures and information about the American Pit Bull Terrier, shall we
Best wishes
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Of course not. No dog, at any stage of its life should be overweight. But, not all dogs are the same. Look at the difference between the sighthounds and the Bulldogs, the Setters and the St Bernards, etc. etc.. Totally different. You wouldn't say that a greyhound should have the same physique as a Labrador?

I have no idea about the background of the dogs in the photos but I suspect that they are far from starved. Lean? yes. Muscular? yes. Fit? undoubtedly. Starved? unlikely.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 11:56 AM
it doesn't matter what any 1 trys to tell me about these dogs, you won't change my opinion of them, not getting at any 1 that said anythink about my dogs, i like to hear what people think weather it's good or not
but these dogs dont even look like any pit that i have seen (pics only) from book's or pics on the net(breeders pages, breed standerd pages, pig dog pages, foreign free add pages) dont mean to sound bitchy if it did
Bolty
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Of course not. No dog, at any stage of its life should be overweight. But, not all dogs are the same. Look at the difference between the sighthounds and the Bulldogs, the Setters and the St Bernards, etc. etc.. Totally different. You wouldn't say that a greyhound should have the same physique as a Labrador?

I have no idea about the background of the dogs in the photos but I suspect that they are far from starved. Lean? yes. Muscular? yes. Fit? undoubtedly. Starved? unlikely.
no im not saying that but even on a sighthounds the ribcage is not as prominent as that of those pits,
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »