Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lolo123
New Member!
Female 

24-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi
aww the little terror! I had the same problem..Chew toys are good to distract and deter him. And don't pull your arm back when he chews on it cause if you tug back he may think it's a game.
I took my pups to puppy training classes so we had minimal problems!
Hope all goes well and your arms aren't too sore..!
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It's important that pups learn bite inhibition, and this can take a little time, this is normal

This may be of some use

http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog_training_tips.asp select play biting.

Please note as well that it can sometimes get much worse before it gets better - that's ok, that's normal too and nothing to worry about as long as everything is being done consistently.

Very young pups do tend to respond to yelps, but older pups and terriers can sometimes see the yelp as something fun and it can make them worse!

Wys
x
I am quoting Wys's post as we seem to be going through a backwards patch with regards to chewing hands etc. So I am hoping the "sometimes get(s) worse before it gets better" is applying here! Our pup was doing great until this week (he is 17 weeks). He's gone from barely touching our skin to full mouthing of hands and clothes again, only harder now. However, he is teething and losing his baby teeth now and so I think his mouth is giving him lots of grief. We are giving him loads of chews etc and these easily distract him but it is certainly waring.
I hope your pup is improving
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I am going through the same thing with my pup

I yelp (not necessarily through choice, but because it blooming well hurts!) and then just ignore him. He knows when you yelp though that he has hurt you, he looks at me like 'oops' and then comes up for cuddles

The other day, I 'accidentally' flipped him on his back and he slid along the floor He was lying down, and suddenly sprang up and bit my knee... It happened so fast that I didn't even register that it was him, until I flicked my leg out automatically and knocked him over
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:44 AM
. Your puppy will be happy chewing milk bottles

. I am not sure if coke bottles will be too tough for him but they would keep my cocker amused for ages especially putting some treats inside. She doesn't get them anymore as she has grown up and can chew a large coke bottle to pieces and get the treats that way! I think the milk bottle will probably be a better at this stage as you don't want to damage the teeth and coke bottles are very tough I found that Millie was fond of chewing the top off.

. Toilet and kitchen rolls

. Card board box's if you get the sachet food and box's save the box and you can hide treats/toys in those

. Old towels again a great place to hide a favourite toy or treet.

. A puppy kong as another fun way to keep your pup entertained.

. Hidding some treets around the house is good way to keep them busy

. My Millie enjoyed ice cubes when she was little

. I believe you can get puppy rawhide from Azda

I would also highly recomend a crate if you haven't all ready got one they are really usefull and its very easy to train a puppy to accept them as their bed ^^
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2