Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 07:38 PM
wet/dry is very contorversial:
Dry: cleans their teeth but can cause stomach problems (rare)
Wet: not as concentrated so they need more and doesn't clean their teeth as well (as long as they have a chew they're fine)
Dry:
James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights, fish4dogs, burns, orijen, jack & jills (i think), lily's kitchen, The natural dog food company, skinners, Arden grange and CSJ is an ok brand but very good for the price (good resort if money is tight).

Wet:
The only one i've ever fed is wainwrights as it's very concentrated so they don't need much however a lot of dogs are still hungry so i put a handful of biscuits in (JWB) just to fill her up more - she's in amazing condition on JWB but her leavings were a little runny when she was younger
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Barking Heads is a good quality food that is similar to Fish for Dogs. they sell it a a small independant pet shop near me but it is becoming more widely available.

I have been feeding my dogs on it for a while with some wet food mixed in to make it a bit more "exciting"! I use naturediet or pilchards mixed in.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 01:30 PM
The only decent supermarket foods are Burgess sensitive/salmon, harringtons (sainsbury's) and lathams (tesco)

JWB is a favourite on this forum, there's also Arden Grange, Skinners (gave my dog gas), Wainwrights (P@H), Barking heads, Fish4dogs (very good), orijen (apparently the best but also the most expensive), CSJ is good for budgets as they do some hypoallergenic foods.
dogfoodanalysis (i think it is), anything 3 star and above is decent, unfortuantly it's american so not all the brands are available in the UK
Ellie-Dal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2012, 01:55 PM
One more point for Skinners! I serve it to Ellie well soaked (almost a soup as Dal's need a lot of fluids). It is a good quality food.
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Both wet and dry food vary immensely in quality. But neither wet or dry actually clean teeth more than the other,but wet may make your dogs breath smell more.
I spent the past 6 months researching dog food and i have learned a lot.

Whichdogfood.co.uk is a good site.
Also have a look here,its a full of dog food info.
http://oscars-antics.blogspot.com/20...dogs-food.html

Just because a food appears more expensive,if its good quality it will last.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
wet/dry is very contorversial:
Dry: cleans their teeth but can cause stomach problems (rare)
Wet: not as concentrated so they need more and doesn't clean their teeth as well (as long as they have a chew they're fine)
Dry:
James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights, fish4dogs, burns, orijen, jack & jills (i think), lily's kitchen, The natural dog food company, skinners, Arden grange and CSJ is an ok brand but very good for the price (good resort if money is tight).

Wet:
The only one i've ever fed is wainwrights as it's very concentrated so they don't need much however a lot of dogs are still hungry so i put a handful of biscuits in (JWB) just to fill her up more - she's in amazing condition on JWB but her leavings were a little runny when she was younger
I am afraid the assertion that dry food cleans teeth is completely erroneous.

Neither is it any more or less likely to cause stomach problems than wet food.

Not sure what you mean by Wainwrights being very concentrated? Concentrated in what?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
The only decent supermarket foods are Burgess sensitive/salmon, harringtons (sainsbury's) and lathams (tesco)

JWB is a favourite on this forum, there's also Arden Grange, Skinners (gave my dog gas), Wainwrights (P@H), Barking heads, Fish4dogs (very good), orijen (apparently the best but also the most expensive), CSJ is good for budgets as they do some hypoallergenic foods.
dogfoodanalysis (i think it is), anything 3 star and above is decent, unfortuantly it's american so not all the brands are available in the UK
I am not sure how you can say that the only decent supermarket foods are those you quote?

Especially when you then mention Arden Grange which is ALSO sold in supermarkets?

I am not sure what you base your opinions on?
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am afraid the assertion that dry food cleans teeth is completely erroneous.

Neither is it any more or less likely to cause stomach problems than wet food.

Not sure what you mean by Wainwrights being very concentrated? Concentrated in what?
This is what I don't understand about wainwrights wet trays. I think she is saying it's very concentrated because the guidelines for it are such small amounts. My gsd loves it but one full tray would be needed just for one meal (she has two) yet the guidelines for her weight states she should only have 3/4 of a tray for the whole day, that is such a tiny amount and would never fill her up. I'm sure I have read somewhere that there is something in it that shouldn't be eaten too much off but may be wrong. My gsd loves it and she is really fussy.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I've calculated today that for my speyed 7kg bitch, it will cost me 36p a day to feed her Orijen, and that's if it's all she has.

A 13.5kg sack should last her 150 days. 36p a day that's really is Value for money.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
I've calculated today that for my speyed 7kg bitch, it will cost me 36p a day to feed her Orijen, and that's if it's all she has.

A 13.5kg sack should last her 150 days. 36p a day that's really is Value for money.
I have to say I've always thought Orijen was expensive but looking at feeding guidelines it isn't too bad at all, I agree.

Whisper won't eat kibble on its own and has unfortunately decided that she only likes gravy flavoured wet food.

So once her current supply of wet food is gone (currently mixing Natures Harvest with the gravy Butchers!) I plan to move her on to Orijen Senior with Butchers gravy to make it more palatable for her. Which strange combination may just make SB feel rather faint!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >