Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
I used JWB with my gang for about 3 years as my Goldie has a beef intolerance. They were happy on it and I only changed as I got a new pup and was re calculating my out put on pet food. JWB is more expensive than Skinners and I considered using this make. If you contact them they are very helpful and will send you samples. In the end I decided to change to CSJ which compared well to both makes, and was perhaps better than Skinners. My local stockist told me the JWB rep told her that CSJ was a better food . CSJ are also very helpful if you email them and tell them what your dog's problems are and will send you samples. They have three ranges which differ in price, none of which is as expensive as JWB.

P.s My Goldie's poo is much better on CSJ

Good luck
I was swaying towards Skinners anyway, it's one of my best friends that works for them, I just wanted to see what other people thought! I will keep updating once I've started her on the food, got to wait for my friend to get back from her meetings so she can sort out sending a bag!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
You can source loads of hypo-allergenic treats, JWB, Wainwrights, Arden Grange and Fish 4 dogs are just a few
Thanks for that, at least there's lots of different treats I can get for her as well!
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2012, 08:38 AM
i started my woof on skinner after my husband insisted on giving him bakers grrr which is when the poop eating started! i asked a few dog owning friend on fb and they suggested skinner, so i phoned skinners explained about poop eating etc and they suggested the field and trial foods as hes 7 months it has less calories than puppy but more than adult food or something to that effect, they posted me 3 or 4 samples that arrived the next day!
he now farts alot less and has alot less runny poops lol
it also seems to fill him up alot more, he was originally on arden grange but its very expensive!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 09:06 AM
check here to see what the experts say about skinners

and about jw

It will help you decide and shows what difference the different flavours have in ingredients.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 07:45 PM
My preference is JWB. I put her on skinners as i can get it for £20 for 15kg instead of £40 but.....OMG the wind - it nearly killed me!!
Put her back on JWB and she's fine now lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 07:53 PM
What suits one doesn't suit another

I feed my gang on Skinners Duck & Rice at the moment - and I tried it mainly because of Yogi's itchy skin. However, he is still itchy so am swapping him on to Orijen to see if it makes a difference. It is sooooo expensive though, so can't afford to feed everyone on it unfortunately.

I was told about this food to try too though (it is also grain free), so might give it a shot later on.

http://www.simpsonspremium.com/
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I feed my gang on Skinners Duck & Rice at the moment - and I tried it mainly because of Yogi's itchy skin. However, he is still itchy so am swapping him on to Orijen to see if it makes a difference. It is sooooo expensive though, so can't afford to feed everyone on it unfortunately.

I was told about this food to try too though (it is also grain free), so might give it a shot later on.

I'm only going to try Stella on Skinners because my friend can get me a bag to try!

I was more curious to see of there was huge difference between the 2 brands as the vet recommended jwb and I knew skinners did similar!

The vet has no idea if a change of food will help, we're going to trial and error to see what works for her! He couldn't tell me what could be making her itchy, he said it could be anything and we're unlikely to ever know, it's going to be about finding out what helps her be less itchy and managing it!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

What about CSJ No Grainer? it's loads cheaper than Orijen and cereal/grain free
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I really rate most varieties of Skinner's, in particular the Field and Trial Hypoallergenic range as it's about the best you can get in that sort of price range imo. The pet range is largely good too, I raised my pup on their Puppy/Junior food and he did really well on it.
I feed grain free now as it suits my dog better but I'd always recommend Skinner's as a good quality, additive free food for those on a budget.
Whether to go for Skinner's or JWB depends on whether or not you want grain free. Otherwise they're very much the same, one's just half the price!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I used to feed mine on Pero organic chicken and rice and they both did well on it until Cherry got a skin allergy and the vet said to change the type of protein and carbohydrate she was fed. We then went on to "Barking Heads" salmon and potato which I still feed Parker (Cherry died last year sadly) and Izzy our new dog.

I am unsure how it compares in price to JWB-it is about £40 for 12kg but has good quality ingredients in and is not meat/fish meal like a lot of dog foods but meat/fish.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2