View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Mac did his at nearly 12. I was worried like you if it would be kinder to pts than do the op. I decided to give the op a go, he had a TPLO.

To be honest it hasn't fazed him at all, he healed really well. He doesn't have the ompphh to jump high anymore and he swings his leg out to the side abit when he runs about but apart from that he is fine.

Still does everything he did before, in fact with the hydrotherapy he got afterwards he is actually fitter and lighter now.

I wish you and Bruno the best of luck whatever you decide.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Aww poor Bruno.

The first thing I'd do (while waiting for all the tests etc) is s t r i c t rest, and I mean very strict. No running, no jumping, very light walks. I remember Borderdawn saying that worked wonders for one of her Borders, and I also tried that with Rocky when I thought his other leg had gone many years after his first one went (where he had the slocum TPLO) - and it worked (but maybe cos I got him on strict rest straight away that time - and he was older... the first time (when he had the op) he was just too young and too playful to be rested properly).

Pain killers might be too effective - which means he might not realise anything is wrong - which will prevent him from taking it easy.... so that's something to be weighed up.

If he does need the op, then there's usually a good success rate - Rocky recovered quite quickly after his - so try not worrying about it
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 09:12 PM
thankyou all for the very helpful information, the vet said they would see on wednesday what the results are from the x-rays and that would determine IF they could operate and if so which OP to do...

He is currently putting no weight on his leg and we feel he has been compensating for some time on the other as his wastage on that leg is quite bad, and again they won't know to what extent until we get him x-rayed.

we have 13 steps to our garden from the living area of house, however we do have a large garage on to the garden and if we needed to we could put a very comfy area down there for him at least during the day so that we could get him in and out easily, and if the weather was good he would prefer that i think anyway as he likes to sit out on the decking..
However its more when to do it, and the recovery, do i get him done ow before the baby comes ( 5 weeks left) knowing that I will have to help him up and down stairs heavily pregnant ( he is 23 kgs) or do I wait do it after when am at home more aswell with new baby...

We also have a family holiday booked for end of june and he is being looked after by friend who is coming to stay in our house so wouldn't be as bad as everything will be in place already.... but what if something happens with his recovery.

arrgghhh am stressing myself out - i have to wait and see whats said on wednesday and take it from there i suppose..

my wee baby....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I forgot to add - get some cod liver oil too, as that can help with joins and their healing.

Re keeping him occupied- plenty of nice juicy (natural) bones - that tended to do the trick with Rocky
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Could this be an alternative to surgery?

http://orthopets.com/stiflebracesolutions.htm
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 10:02 PM
So sorry to read about Bruno....Hope they can help him....give him a hug from me....
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2012, 06:05 AM
don't know what to say!... but please believe, me and Jeager are thinking of you.! good luck wednesday.. and in the future. be brave Bruno.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-03-2012, 06:17 AM
I have no advice but want to send (((hugs))) and to let you know I am thinking of you and Bruno.

I suppose the thing about the carrying it would be better after the baby but still a worry and not ideal while you are recovering.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Sorry to read this, and what terrible timing for you.

My 8 year old Pointer had a TPLO last year, and it has really improved her quality of life. It seems to have really improved the arthritis. The recovery period was quite tricky as she is such a fizz-bomb, but with an older, calmer dog it might be less intense.

Your tactics for recovery depend a bit on the type of surgery. TPLO means that they use the operated leg after only a couple of days. Saba's surgeon said that he was happy for her to go up and down stairs straight away, as long as she did it CALMLY ( and there's the rub!). Mind you, the French vets seem to be keener on getting the dog moving than English vets.

I feel for you.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 06:49 PM
thanks guys, we will see what tomorrow brings and will update after been to vets here is hoping for good news
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >