View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, I've only known one JTR well. It was a re-home, and was a little sod at first. It used to attack my ankles when I came down the stairs, barked like a loon, snarled at the other dogs....

After a few months in a good home, I have to say he is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. I think a lot of the problem with small dogs is that people don't think they need to train them.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Well, I've only known one JTR well. It was a re-home, and was a little sod at first. It used to attack my ankles when I came down the stairs, barked like a loon, snarled at the other dogs....

After a few months in a good home, I have to say he is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. I think a lot of the problem with small dogs is that people don't think they need to train them.
Oh! I sooooooooooooo agree, I have seen some that get away with, sitting, wait, leave, no, off, paw, down, etc etc all because ''awwwwwwww we don't ask him/her as they are so little Im afraid Mojo has to do exactly what I expect from the Border Collies...behave
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Its a small dog.....and a Jack Russell Terrier too

Mojo had her very first trip on the bus today, we went to The Yewtree shopping centre, just how many people said....

awwww she looks cute, bet she bites though being a JRT and that was just on the bus.
People seemed a little gob smacked when I said...no she is really people friendly......which much to ''Mommymoo's''(Mojo's nickname) pleasure she got stroked

We popped to the cafe and sat outside having a cuppa, Mommymoo sat on my lap, the amount of people who ''''''swerved'''''''' past

Then we were outside the petshop as I was getting some garden plants. when a guy with a labdoodle asked if we could move her as he couldn't pass with his dog.....I asked my FS to pull her in and he walked past like grease lightening. Mommymoo's tail going ten to the dozen

Think Mommymoo needs a sign.............Please don't tar me with the same brush

Still she got a baby with sticky fingers giving her cuddles on the bus on the way back
to be honrest, but maybe its just me, i dont think any of the above is that bad really

whats an FS?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I knew many people who had JRTs down in West Cornwall when I lived there. They seemed to be very popular there. Quite a few would say their dogs were good individually but not so good if let off lead together in pairs. In fact my good mate Maggie had two, Stanley & Lily and would never let them both off lead at the same time. She was a small scale farmer. She said they got very 'bolshie' brave and aggressive if running together but never one at a time. And quite apart from them chasing other animals it would not be unusual for them to go off and not come back if they were together.

Enduring memory of Stanley was, at a local dog show, he bit the judge! (He didn't win). Enduring memory of a next door neighbour's JRT was that the little git used to pee over my milk bottles when it was delivered if I didn't get out there before he did!

I dunno but I think dogs who are brought up and live in the countryside do tend to 'behave' differently than dogs who live in big towns and cities. And country people seem to have different expectations of them too than what townies do.

A lot of 'countryside' and farm dogs are never taken out on formal walks. They just roam about the land their owners have. They've hardly ever had a lead on them. They jump on the back of open trucks and go off to work with 'dad' or run around happily with the horses (Maggie's JRT used to ride on the back of her old horse!)

When I lived about 10 yards from a non tourist beach with the Bowjey Hill just behind me - there was never any need to have my dog 'walk nicely on a lead beside me'. I'd not dream of taking it to the High St - headache for both of us.

The main difference I noticed about living out of town where dogs are concerned was that no one much blinked an eyelid at a dog getting into a fight, or even biting someone occasionally, fighting with other dogs or even barking all day and night! Attitude would be 'well that's what dogs do isn't it? They bark.'
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
to be honrest, but maybe its just me, i dont think any of the above is that bad really

whats an FS?
LOL....Foster Son
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I knew many people who had JRTs down in West Cornwall when I lived there. They seemed to be very popular there. Quite a few would say their dogs were good individually but not so good if let off lead together in pairs. In fact my good mate Maggie had two, Stanley & Lily and would never let them both off lead at the same time. She was a small scale farmer. She said they got very 'bolshie' brave and aggressive if running together but never one at a time. And quite apart from them chasing other animals it would not be unusual for them to go off and not come back if they were together.

Enduring memory of Stanley was, at a local dog show, he bit the judge! (He didn't win). Enduring memory of a next door neighbour's JRT was that the little git used to pee over my milk bottles when it was delivered if I didn't get out there before he did!

I dunno but I think dogs who are brought up and live in the countryside do tend to 'behave' differently than dogs who live in big towns and cities. And country people seem to have different expectations of them too than what townies do.

A lot of 'countryside' and farm dogs are never taken out on formal walks. They just roam about the land their owners have. They've hardly ever had a lead on them. They jump on the back of open trucks and go off to work with 'dad' or run around happily with the horses (Maggie's JRT used to ride on the back of her old horse!)

When I lived about 10 yards from a non tourist beach with the Bowjey Hill just behind me - there was never any need to have my dog 'walk nicely on a lead beside me'. I'd not dream of taking it to the High St - headache for both of us.

The main difference I noticed about living out of town where dogs are concerned was that no one much blinked an eyelid at a dog getting into a fight, or even biting someone occasionally, fighting with other dogs or even barking all day and night! Attitude would be 'well that's what dogs do isn't it? They bark.'
Yes if I let Mojo run with my son's JRT Im sure she would get bolshie, Pappi is much different to Mojo, she has been more of a handful....although calmer now as she is older, but my son admits openly, that she was spoilt just because she was small he reaped the spoils of her bad behaviour and had to go right back to basics funny how he never did that with his Border Collie or SBT

Mojo has ridden the horses and Axel the greyhound (insomnia's dog)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Mojo has ridden the horses and Axel the greyhound (insomnia's dog)

My pal's big old horse, Sandy, would come right over to the fence so the JRT could get on her back and away they'd go! Quite a sight to see Stanley standing up rigid on Sandy's back as she trotted off with him!

Not the sort of thing you see often in inner cities or big towns!
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I've had people look at me in astonishment when I tell them Marius is friendly - as if it is an impossibility for a Rottie to be nice.
I know exactly what you mean, I get this all the time with Bruce and he is so people friendly.

I find that people just cross the road, rather than meet my Bruce they don't even ask if he bites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

My pal's big old horse, Sandy, would come right over to the fence so the JRT could get on her back and away they'd go! Quite a sight to see Stanley standing up rigid on Sandy's back as she trotted off with him!

Not the sort of thing you see often in inner cities or big towns!
I know, when Mojo has been on horses backs, people have stood at the gate and laughed, but she actually must feel safer on their backs then being so small near their feet
Originally Posted by musky View Post
I know exactly what you mean, I get this all the time with Bruce and he is so people friendly.

I find that people just cross the road, rather than meet my Bruce they don't even ask if he bites
awwwwwwwwww poor Bruce I'd give him a cuddle xx I love Rotties
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2