View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Molly was about a year old when we put away her crate. She is still absolutely fine in one now and actually enjoyed her crate when it was up. She only used it as a bed in the later days without the door being closed.

Roxy we got as a 5 year old rescue and we never used a crate with her. We tried it a couple of times but she hated it and given all that she'd been through I didn't want to cause her any more upset.

However, I wish I had persevered to at least try to get her used to being in one in case of emergencies, vet trips, but I didn't and that's that. She's 11 now so I don't think I'll bother now.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
When we had pups many years back, crating was unheard of so we never had one and the pups were all free from the start. I still have never possessed a crate so all our subsequent dogs and fosters have had free run from day one with no problems at all. Not sure that any amount of crating teaches them how to behave when out of it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I always have a crate available

You never know when you might need it.

Ill dog
post operative dog
decorating
broken glass
phobic visitors

etc etc etc

And one of mine gets fed in his crate as I like to separate my dogs whilst eating.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 03:49 PM
i use creats as a tool, for managing.i believe that a creat is a good place for a dog to call there own ,a place they can relax in, dening is a commom thing for k9 in general, done right, it can be a good place,done wrong, a bad place, some dogs like it, some dont.i found that, the more you treat your dog like your child, the harder it is...respectfully and my wife would tell you, that i do...i simply use it to manage and dont feel guilty at all..
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Well Bella has had it from day one, but she has never ever gone in there on her own accord. We left the door open for her etc, she just isn't interested. She prefers to be with us, and chooses to come sit on the sofa with us to sleep (this may be bad for some people, but she's a small dog, and I don't mind her on the sofa as she behaves) or she will choose her living room bed to sleep in. I think she just likes being in our company. We have tried taking away the living room bed, and she still won't actively go in the crate to sleep / chill.

Not only is it becoming a 'waste of space' in some sense, but I'm finding I am having to 'force' (metaphorically) her into the crate because she isn't interested and would rather be in the living room with us.

I would like her to have a bit of freedom, and I think she would be happier with just her bed, cuddly toy and blanket. At the moment the crate is between the wall and our dining table, so her bed would still technically be 'hidden' away, it won't be a big open space etc. Its just trusting her in the room really.

Hope this all makes sense!?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
it does make sense.there is nothing wrong with wanting your dog, out of the creat.it all depends on the dog and your situation.keep the creat, so its there if you need it ,smokey said it best...good luck and give your dog an opertunity to stay out and see what you may have to curb when it comes to chewing and any other issues...goood luck
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
something i forgot to say,when i take on new dog and they dont like the create, i would run the dog and get them tierd, it made it easyer to get them in ,dont push,use a treat at the back of the create, and some times i will put a piece of clothing from the owner..
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I have never really put it away. Middle dog has been very ill 3 times so it was useful then. Also handy for holidays and post op.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Dont worry 3dognight I never actually push her in etc, she can just sometimes take a lot of coaxing to get in. In the mornings she will occasionally get in there, once I'm setting her blanket out, bear etc - then she will come to investigate.

I think also it is a good point when you say theyre ill etc. But I think the way she is with it at the moment, I could put it away, and then get it back out for situations like that. Because she isn't really 'attached' to it, or interested in it, I don't think it would make a difference to her. I may be wrong though! this is my first dog, so its all learning xx
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
awsome ,sounds like you are in tune with your first dog.and you have come to the right place for good info and opinions,way to go...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >