View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I've always loved TMs and always wanted a black and tan male with well defined markings.

However, I never liked shar-pei and thought they were the ugliest, most unnatural thing I'd ever seen when they first came into the UK and the photos you saw were mostly of traditional horsecoats and particularly wrinkly puppies. I swore I'd never own one. Then a modern type brushcoat decided I was her new pet person and it would have been rude to say no to her.

I'm on shar-pei number 4 now and I'd hate to be without one in my life. Especially the bearcoats as apart from the head, their bodily very much like an old fashioned chow chow, which are a much loved breed of mine.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 06:52 AM
i dont think my taste has changed, just that a bit of common sense has now come in to the playing field aswell. I love big dogs, for me its always been the bigger the better, i get so excited when a huge dog comes in to work. But i have no garden and a tini house, i have also found phoebe very trying over the years with things like pulling ect that i have found my self favouring smaller dogs for my self.
I could never have a dog that you can feel bones (sorry to any owners but i cant even touch a wippet or greyhound without gagging) so will be a chunky small dog
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Changed totally, won't be having any more dual pet/working bred dogs again as don't have the time to get the best from them which in itself evokes its own set of problems. I prioritise more laid back breeds as my future in dogs, and definitely have gone away from my roots in the family staffords.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2012, 07:55 AM
As a child I always wanted a Golden Retriever but then I met one that drooled continuously and it put me off owning one.

GSDs were my passion for years, especially the sables, but now, although I still give them a double take when out, I don't think I will ever own another one (never say never but I wouldn't purposely seek one out).

My OH were talking the other day about our 'next dog' and couldn't think of any breed that we would actually want to own (like the look of some but wouldn't want to own them) except for he would love another Akita but I think that we were spoilt with Nala and could probably be disappointed with another one.

So, yes, my taste in dogs has definitely changed over the years
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i dont think my taste has changed, just that a bit of common sense has now come in to the playing field aswell. I love big dogs, for me its always been the bigger the better, i get so excited when a huge dog comes in to work. But i have no garden and a tini house, i have also found phoebe very trying over the years with things like pulling ect that i have found my self favouring smaller dogs for my self.
I could never have a dog that you can feel bones (sorry to any owners but i cant even touch a wippet or greyhound without gagging) so will be a chunky small dog
You'd be lucky to find my greyhounds bones Lol. They had plenty when I got them but they have gone into hiding now .

Yes my tastes have changed over the years. I used to love dogs I could train to a high standard, who were on the ball and loved walking for miles and miles. Now I am older although I still love these breeds to look at and meet, greyhounds now suit my lifestyle being lazy and laid back about everything. If you had told me 3 years ago I would own a greyhound I would have laughed. But now I have slowed up I have found they are perfect for me and have a temprement to die for and so much gentle love to give.
My tastes in BC's and GSD's havn't changed though. They must both be long coated. GSD straight backed and the BC must have tipped over ears.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

So, has your preference changed over the years - in either the breed itself, or actually within a breed?
I used to like the `Rin Tin Tin` type gsd - short coat black and tan. I still do - but I also like the fluffies.
And I have learned to appreciate HPR dogs.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I like all dogs but do lean towards the "pointier" type of dogs, saluki, whippet, greys, lurchers, visla etc etc
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Mine's changed loads

I grew up with 2 collies, and always imagined owning one, now I can't see me ever doing so... I never used to be keen on small dogs but now I really fancy a small third dog! Will always have at least 1 rescue Akita in my life, definately.

Lifestyle really...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:04 AM
hmm, i wouldnt say my taste has changed as such because i like so many different breeds, and i havent found "MY" breed yet. i know alot of you talk on here about once owning one breed, you will never have another breed. i can honestly say im not like this with my cresteds. yes i love them, can always see me having one or two, but there are so many other dogs i want to own.

i like big dogs, the bigger the better but i dont know if this would change after owning one, and maybe having a shock with their shorter lifespan.

i used to love big fluffy dogs, i love malamutes, newfies etc.. but know now i wouldnt own one, because i couldnt deal with the coat, i couldnt deal with the ammount of hoovering, grooming etc.. ive said i want my next dog to be a wipe down and we are ready breed

i like breeds that are muscly, and look powerful and noble, like dobermans, boxers, danes etc. i also want a dog that i could maybe work with, obedience etc.

saying that though i also like a lot of the gundog breeds, but they do fit in with my theme of shortcoated muscly working type breeds.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I never ever thought I would "love" spaniels quite as much as I do. I thought I would only ever own Roughs

(and I said I would never own a x breed..hahahaha!)
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >