View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dot
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2005, 06:26 AM
the BDC website will always have a list of their shows around the country, you may find some local to you, (not sure if you have to be a member to enter some of their shows, as I am a member I never think to ask!! )

the difficulty with showing just for fun is that most people tend to go around all the shows 'clocking up' wins so that ultimatly they qualify for Crufts. Some shows you cannot enter unless you are winners of previous shows, or reserve etc. it can get a bit complicated but maybe your best bet if you only want to do it for fun is ask at your dog training place when you start as they will hold shows, a best to look for the 'open' shows where the entry is not as strict as some of the others,

showing is a whole new world

Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
the difficulty with showing just for fun is that most people tend to go around all the shows 'clocking up' wins so that ultimatly they qualify for Crufts. Some shows you cannot enter unless you are winners of previous shows, or reserve etc
errrr..... in nine years of showing Dalmatians I have never heard of that! To qualify for Crufts you need 1st, 2nd or third in a qualifying class at a Championship show during the year before, and that's it. (There is another route via "Premier" Open Shows but you need BIS, RBIS or BISP as far as I remember, being overseas I am relying on memory!!!) Unless of course your dog is qualified for life by having a stud book number for example, but don't worry about that just yet!
There are some special club shows eg Dalmatian of the Year, Junior/Veteran of the Year where you have to have qualified but that is an "internal" club thing. Otherwise, feel free to enter!

Clocking up points is to do with Junior Warrant which is a kind of Junior Champion Award, that requires points while the dog is between 6 and 18 months, and since you need at least three in the ring to get the points of you DO win, it is necessary in some breeds to enter everywhere to make sure you get the best opportunity.

Don't be put off, by the way, by people telling you not to enter a Championship Show as a novice. Plenty do, and many are successful - it just irritates some of the "old hands!

Good luck. PM me if you want any specific advice.

Gill
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Dot, you say ''Some shows you cannot enter unless you are winners of previous shows, or reserve etc.'' To my knowledge, there is only one show that that applies to, and that is Crufts.

There are however several ways of becoming inelligable for certain competition. For instance CC winners, are not allowed to enter the pedigree classes of Companion Shows or any class of a Limited Show.

Dawn R.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Premier Shows if you win BOB in breeds that have a large enough classification to need to employ the services of a 'B' listed judge. Think you need to win BIS from an open show would have to look that up to be sure and 1,2,3 at a championship show in the specified classes.

Premier Shows are just Open Shows that have been awarded premier status because they meet the specifications that the KC has set down.

The only shows where qualification is required apart from Crufts are the POTY shows and several others that are run for dogs that have qualified either through stakes classes or by winning specified awards, these are usually run along the lines of a match and the contestants are invited because of the wins they have had during the year.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the info! lots and lots!

I will definitely take a look, some of what has been mentioned I've tried as it is the obvious route but couldn't find much.

Thanks Gill, will pm you should I need you! And as far as shows go, if I can and I want to I will. In fact, that's how most things go with me! Life's too short!

Dot, I said that I wanted to do it as a hobby but that is only because this is my first dally and I'm not there yet, if we do well when we first start off it may become something more serious but I do have college to worry about aswell!
I don't want to do it too seriously in case it take the enjoyment away because I am like that I tend to take things very seriously and take the fun out of things!

If we do well at first, then we will go on to do it a bit more etc.

And yes, I'll be going to ringcraft - in fact I asked my dog trainer (yes I have one even though I don't have a dog yet!) about it the other day!

So, thankyou all. I will let you know what the breeder says about showing tonight as I'm going to see my baby tonight!

Thanks again for all the info, am taking it all on board!

Lottie
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Just thought, and no-one has mentioned this yet (I don't think) but Open and Championship Shows have to be entered in advance, at least six weeks, Companion Dog shows enter on the day. Limit and Club shows tend to be a little less in advance but the message is PLAN AHEAD! or you'll miss the closing date and late entries are rarely allowed because of the catalogue printer's deadlines.

Gill
Dot
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Perhaps some of the wording used was not the best choice , as we too have experience, at YKC level with my daughter, and in the assumption that due to your age I thought you would be talking about the YKC…….(which I have to say is far more fun and a lot less stuffy than the adult world )……….the word ‘win’ that I used would have been better as ‘points’ which are collected as you compete to gain 150 points to claim your showing badge, handling badge etc. with the ultimate of qualifying for Crufts. Depending on what category of Crufts, you can enter under one win or you can also have 3 diplomas of merit in one calendar year i.e. for obedience. But again there are some rules to this.

The YKC, (6yrs to 24yrs) if you are interested will be able to explain this probably far better than me as it can get confusing, and I still may not be explaining it the best way (and no doubt someone is waiting in the wings to correct me ) they have some fun events with a great opportunity to meet more people of your own age will doggies on the brain!! (if you are anything like my daughter ) and maybe there could be more doggy things (fun, not just showing) going on local to you, and yes you deffinatly do have to plan in advance for the shows/events you should see al the scribbles on our calander, but they do send you all the forms in good time,

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
ok thanks, i always knew you had to plan in advance, didn't realise there were some you could just enter on the day though!

Do you have to plan ahead to just watch, or can you go on the day just to sit and watch and meet other doggy people?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
If you are going as a spectator, just turn up. Most breed judging starts at 10am if yours is the first breed in the ring, but always worth checking with someone who has entered. Dalmatians are usually first in at 10am. Or 9.30....
It is the British Dalmatian Club Championship Show this Saturday, around 200 spotties of all ages and types in two rings, well worth going to watch if you can, top Dalmatian show in the UK. PM me for details if you are interested in going.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2