Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Diesel does most of what you describe above, he's just a nervous dog, don't know why though.....We've never raised a hand to him.

If I get his harness out, he gets mega excited then he'll cower down and freeze, I have to get down to his level and put it on for him....Once it's on, he loves it........
thats what mylo does. the minute he sees the lead he starts barking, bouncing about, cant wait to get out, the minute you shout him to come to put it on, he stops, freezes and cowers...
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thats what mylo does. the minute he sees the lead he starts barking, bouncing about, cant wait to get out, the minute you shout him to come to put it on, he stops, freezes and cowers...
Diesel's now 4 1/2 and I don't ever see him changing....I just except it, and get down to his level without talking to him to put the harness on...........Cause I know once it's on, he loves it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Diesel does most of what you describe above, he's just a nervous dog, don't know why though.....We've never raised a hand to him.

If I get his harness out, he gets mega excited then he'll cower down and freeze, I have to get down to his level and put it on for him....Once it's on, he loves it........
Two of my dogs act like this when I put their harnesses on. One runs and then cowers, the other just freezes and does her best beaten dog impression. No reason why they do this either, some dogs are just weird!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
he stresses himself out over it though and thats what i dont like. the minute hes put in the kitchen he starts panting and shaking and whining. i cant work out why. nothing bad has ever happened to him in there and there are times when he must be shut in the kitchen. i hate shutting him in there knowing im going out for an hour and thats all he will do for that hour.
You said he was scared of the kitchen floor. If so, it must be very stressing for him to be shut in there. Would a rug on the floor in the kitchen help him out a bit?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
You said he was scared of the kitchen floor. If so, it must be very stressing for him to be shut in there. Would a rug on the floor in the kitchen help him out a bit?
he has beds in there, but he wont walk to the bed, it has to be by the door, but obviously you cant put the bed in front of the door otherwise you cant get in or out. you have to really encourage him to get on his bed, so i imagine he doesnt move from it all the time he is left, and i hate that idea.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Molly is like this, some dogs are just nervy I guess. The best thing to do is to try not to get frustrated (I know it's hard) and to attempt to make him less afraid of the things he's scared of

It takes time but it can be very rewarding when your dog stops being nervous about things that they were previously scared of.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:06 PM
thing is with him not being mine, its out of my control sometimes. she shouts at him, which doesnt help. ive had a go at her before now for shouting at asbo because he's so sensitive. but hes my dog so its different.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
he has beds in there, but he wont walk to the bed, it has to be by the door, but obviously you cant put the bed in front of the door otherwise you cant get in or out. you have to really encourage him to get on his bed, so i imagine he doesnt move from it all the time he is left, and i hate that idea.
a rug or mat that stretched from the door to his bed and possibly covering more of the floor space if possible may just help him to settle and feel a lot more comfortable
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
thing is with him not being mine, its out of my control sometimes. she shouts at him, which doesnt help. ive had a go at her before now for shouting at asbo because he's so sensitive. but hes my dog so its different.
Aah okay, that's slightly different. Still, some of the issues you mentioned could surely be fixed? The hoover issue would be fairly easy to sort without your Nana's input.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Aah okay, that's slightly different. Still, some of the issues you mentioned could surely be fixed? The hoover issue would be fairly easy to sort without your Nana's input.
yeah i can try with him.. kind of bums me out knowing it wouldnt be appreciated mind, but if it helps the dog i will do it regardless.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2