View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Its a decision only you can make and I strongly believe in the words "better a week too soon than a day too late" .

That said, he does seem like he has a decent quality of life aside from the walks. But then only YOU know him and only you will know when the time is right.

I would say- do ask the vet outright about what you are thinking, that way I think you will get a less guarded opinion from them about his prognosis.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:32 PM
It is so difficult with these precious oldies isn't it. You want them to have the quality of life they have always enjoyed with you and you want them to go on forever, but you know they can't

Personally, I like Dave's thinking. If Georgie is still pain-free, he is not ill, is eating and enjoying a potter in the garden as well as time with you, then I would say that his quality of life hasn't yet been compromised to the point where it is time to say goodbye. However, you live with the dear old chap and you will know whether he is fed up of it all now. I do believe that you know when the time is right, as the dog tells you. I never believed this actually, until my lovely, special boy Moss told me a year ago on Sunday that he just couldn't go on any more It is THE hardest decision, but I knew he was telling me he wanted to go to sleep

So, if Georgie is telling you he is fine and ok for now, then I would listen to him. However, if you look deep into his eyes and you see there that he is tired of life then you know what you have to do.

Hugs and as many positive vibes as I can muster are winging their way down South to you and Georgieboy xxx I will be thinking of you both on Monday x
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I really feel for you, what a hard decision to make but there is no right or wrong. If your gut is telling you though then i would go with it personally. xxxxxxxxxx
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I truly do not know how you decide. People say to err on the side of caution but I think I kept Tessie in this world a little too long because I just couldn't let her go.

HUGs to you and Georgie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Its a decision only you can make and I strongly believe in the words "better a week too soon than a day too late" .

That said, he does seem like he has a decent quality of life aside from the walks. But then only YOU know him and only you will know when the time is right.

I would say- do ask the vet outright about what you are thinking, that way I think you will get a less guarded opinion from them about his prognosis.

I don't believe those words - they don't work for me at all

I do know WHY they are said and I can see the sentiment behind them - but I know that, personally, I could not have any of my dogs pts until I knew they were ready to go
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks to all of you, I know you all understand just how hard this is for both of us with this very special boy of ours.

It's just that when I got back from our 2nd walk and led Georgie out into the garden with us, he laid himself down and I went over to give him a big cuddle, coz he does miss us when we disappear without him, I know that, so I like to make a big fuss of him. As I knelt down in front of him, I was talking to him and stroking his head, and he gently licked my hand, and rested his head on my knee and just stared up at me, something he's never done before, then he gently closed them as I was stroking his head, and it got me wondering whether he's trying to tell me he's had enough now

Maybe you're right, along with Dave, and there is a certain quality left to his life, and I suppose we all get here don't we, when we're stuck in a room, staring at 4 walls, nobody wants us anymore and we just have to wait it out, whereas with Georgie, I have a choice, not an easy one, but still a choice. I remember my dear old mum saying sometimes "why haven't they come for me yet? I've had enough, everything hurts....." and I sometimes wonder if the old boy feels the same way

I've had dogs that have gone on to 15, 16 and almost 17 in the past, but 2 of them left of their own accord, and the other one had a stroke one night, so we had to get the vet out. Cassie although still young to me at almost 12, had incurable cancer, so it was a lot easier, it really WAS better to let her go a week too early than a day too late to save her pain, I knew nothing would save her, so I didn't want to torture her or us any longer, so it was made easier.

This is the first time I find myself in a position where to look at my dog, you wouldn't think there's anything wrong with him, until he walks across the room when he's been asleep for a while, his legs knot up for a couple of seconds, but that's it. Then I think back to the horse, there was nothing wrong with him, except for the fact that he was 21 (old for a TB), bit stiff behind, couldn't be ridden anymore, I was too ill to take care of him, so I just didn't see the point of letting him mope about in a field for however long. Couldn't move him on, nobody would have wanted him, he was a crib biter and very much a "bit of a handful"!! The vet said he would not be happy to be left like that after a lifetime of being ridden out every day, enjoying himself, so I just took the vet's advice and went ahead and that broke my heart in two, the way he towed me up the road to the spot where I had the vet waiting

The mere fact that Georgie trusts me so explicitly, more than any other dog I have ever owned, and probably even more than Zena ever will, how will he ever forgive me for taking him to the vets to end his life, it makes me sick to even think about it So, then I wait until he's sick or in pain, just to make it easier for myself???? NO, can't do that

Can't speak to the vet before Monday because he's semi-retired now, he's the top man at the hospital, he only attends this small branch I attend on a Monday. I will be open and honest with him, and if he feels that Georgie is not ready, then thank the Lord for that, he will be coming home, but IF, he tells me it's time to say goodbye, then strong I will be just for Georgie.

Thanks guys, always there for me aren't ya!!!! Some of you will remember the Cassie thread when you got me through and I came out the other end, so hopefully, we can do it again together.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry H. You will do what is best for Georgie, I know. Is he happy, do you think? I mean, Loki acts really peeved when I have to go somewhere without him, so I know he's not happy at that particular moment but that doesn't mean he's not generally happy overall. Do you see what I mean? You know Georgie best hun.
xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm sorry H. You will do what is best for Georgie, I know. Is he happy, do you think? I mean, Loki acts really peeved when I have to go somewhere without him, so I know he's not happy at that particular moment but that doesn't mean he's not generally happy overall. Do you see what I mean? You know Georgie best hun.
xxx
Yes, I see exactly what you mean!!! Yes, he's happy most of the time.....except when we go out without him!!! Thank Lucky, maybe I overanalyze things with him now perhaps.....xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I see exactly what you mean!!! Yes, he's happy most of the time.....except when we go out without him!!! Thank Lucky, maybe I overanalyze things with him now perhaps.....xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I do with Loki and the epilepsy too. It's natural because you don't want Georgie to suffer.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I've not much to add Helena to the excellent posts all ready made. For me, it's a balancing act at the end of the day, letting them go while they enjoy life but when the end is not far off. Big hugs to you all. xx
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »