View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Toby won't be vaccinated again (on vets advice), as it's one of the known triggers for IMHA. We'll have him titre tested and see how long his current immunity lasts. The only thing the vet says will run out quick is the lepto. I try and avoid muddy stagnant water, but he's a spaniel!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:17 PM
The world vet association say boosters should be done every 3 years, except for lepto. If your vet says otherwise change vet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:24 PM
There is a lot of literature on this subject. I stopped boosters when working for a veterinary diagnostic lab down in Devon where the experts considered that they are given far too frequently (if needed at all) given for conditions that hardly exist in certain areas etc. but worst of all that they can and do cause skin tumour probs (which my little dog suffered with).

Unfortunately here in Cyprus, I cannot get my dog into the good boarding kennels without proof of up to date EVERYTHING. Nor would I be able to fly her on the EU pet passport scheme.

But if I didn't need to board or travel her - I would be VERY selective about what she needed.

I am regular with worming treatments. And flea and tick prevention.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by malwhit View Post

My old vet would allow up to 18 months between boosters but now they has been taken over by a franchise, the new corporate policy is if the boosters are more than 13 months apart then the vaccination regime has to start again.
What rubbish dogs over 10 weeks of age only need 1 vaccination injection & that is from the NOAH website
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Will certainly be looking into this alot more and talking to my vet about it
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Interesting thread...
Just out of interest, is lepto usually included in booster vaccs or do you ask for this separately?
How much (approximately) does titer testing cost?

I have so far kept Kestral up to date as I take her fairly high-risk places like to PAH, groomers, training, busy parks etc but perhaps it is not in her best interest afterall...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Jake had his puppy vaccinations and his first booster... I wouldn't get his second booster done though, and don't plan on anymore either. I just don't think every year is necessary and after reading things on here, it really made me think about it...

Thankfully, my parents will have Jake if I ever go anywhere that he can't come... I haven't left him in the 2 and a half years I have had him though
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:58 PM
These are the questions I am now asking myself whichpets, I always thought I was doing the best thing but now I am not so sure?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 12:27 AM
We booster yearly & will continue to do so

The benefits outweigh the consequences..
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Skye, Fingal and Breagh always get their vaccinations because we do use kennels.

We do tend to let annual boosters run over the due date (up to 18th months) depending on when they need cover for the kennels.

Kennel cough is the other thing - one kennel we use demands it and the other doesn't so that tends to be done in advance if required.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >