View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Melanie well done for being the one to offer Mitch a temporary home .
I am guessing you don't have a crate or Mitch isn't used to one? Can you not leave him in a cleanable area like the kitchen for most of the time with a cosy bed, a kong with somthing tempting and smelly inside like sardines and mashed potato. Or build a Mitch restricted area using the gates and furniture and cover with an old bedspread or duvet cover.
Has he got his own 'familiar' toys and bowls etc with him , that can help a dog to settle in a strange enviroment.

Lots of walks will help to insure he is quite 'empty' so there isn't much there to scent mark with.

Commiserations on the driving test, it took me three attempts to pass

ETA Mitch looks a lovely little chap and quite a character
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Melanie well done for being the one to offer Mitch a temporary home .
I am guessing you don't have a crate or Mitch isn't used to one? Can you not leave him in a cleanable area like the kitchen for most of the time with a cosy bed, a kong with somthing tempting and smelly inside like sardines and mashed potato. Or build a Mitch restricted area using the gates and furniture.
Has he got his own 'familiar' toys and bowls etc with him , that can help a dog to settle in a strange enviroment.

Lots of walks will help to insure he is quite 'empty' so there isn't much there to scent mark with.

Commiserations on the driving test, it took me three attempts to pass
Thanks I didn't think of the kitchen, it's tiled so easy clean...I'll give that a go with the dog gate. We don't have a crate other than Axel's fabric one which he'll wreck. So I think that's the answer, I don't want him tied up all the time, so I think you've found the answer, thank you!
I'll take him on his walks and he'll be in the yard often so hopefully will lessen the marking
He's lying down now, so hopefully will settle behind the gate - off to set that up, thanks
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:44 AM
If he is on the lead constantly that could make Mitch more stressed as he will feel more restricted. I know when Millie meats bigger dogs on the lead she is more frightened of them then what she would be if she was off lead.

If you have a crate or pen I would put him in that, that way he may bark all the time but at least it gives you a breather knowing he is at least safe.

Have you tried occupying him?? Giving him chew bones ect it could help him turn his attention away from Axel maybe provide him with a Kong or hide some treats around the house for him to find. You could try a few different ones to see what he likes.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
If he is on the lead constantly that could make Mitch more stressed as he will feel more restricted. I know when Millie meats bigger dogs on the lead she is more frightened of them then what she would be if she was off lead.

If you have a crate or pen I would put him in that, that way he may bark all the time but at least it gives you a breather knowing he is at least safe.

Have you tried occupying him?? Giving him chew bones ect it could help him turn his attention away from Axel maybe provide him with a Kong or hide some treats around the house for him to find. You could try a few different ones to see what he likes.
Thanks He's now behind the gate and I will be giving him a chew. The gate is right next to where I am, he's now off lead and has access to water and can see us, so hopefully he'll settle better. If he pees in there at least it's wipe-able and he can't reach the food like Axel can - hopefully he'll settle soon and this will help
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Thanks He's now behind the gate and I will be giving him a chew. The gate is right next to where I am, he's now off lead and has access to water and can see us, so hopefully he'll settle better. If he pees in there at least it's wipe-able and he can't reach the food like Axel can - hopefully he'll settle soon and this will help
Melanie he sounds a lovely little chap, remember to give him lots of praise whenever he is quiet or doing something you want him to do and of course lots of gentle cuddles and hopefully he should settle down .
I bet his master is missing him ...
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Im sure once he has had his brain stimulated he should settle down I expect the new enviroment has made him all hyper with excitement ^__^
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Melanie he sounds a lovely little chap, remember to give him lots of praise whenever he is quiet or doing something you want him to do and of course lots of gentle cuddles and hopefully he should settle down .
I bet his master is missing him ...
Thanks, he is in his own way. Just really not my natural kind of dog...just been out for a walk with Axel, well behaved...I had to buy a little harness though as he only had a collar with his flexi-lead.
I've just called the hospital and asked them to pass on that he's fine

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Im sure once he has had his brain stimulated he should settle down I expect the new enviroment has made him all hyper with excitement ^__^
Hopefully He's just been on a walk, so hoping he settles now...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Just a thought - would they feed him his own special "doggy burgers", i.e. raw meat made into patties? Could be a good way to get him a semi-balanced diet without forcing them to change too much
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Bless him......Hope he settles in soon.

Also hope your FIL makes a full recovery xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2