View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Can't say temperature makes any difference to mine but Hannah is like a naughty kid when its windy.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Moxie is a pup again in the cooler weather. It gets too hot here to do much of anything during the spring/summer months. She seems to really age over the summers, but once fall hits she's zooming around like a puppy. Its as if the years just fall right off of her.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Alfie is the opposite!

He hates the rain/cold/dark, when he gets up for his pee in the morning, if it's any of these he does a wee quick, then lazes about allllllll day, if it's warmer out he will happily be up and on the go earlier
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Doesn't seem to make a difference with mine.

I have to watch Bo in the summer months because if it is hot, she would still run until she collapsed. Weather is irrelevant for her.
Aw! I have to walk round water/shade too in summer - I didn't think Kestral would behave differently in the colder weather (although I know she loves it), but she is defiantly more active!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Jimmi tends to head for the nearest radiator in the cold weather! When he IS awake, yes, he is probably a bit more lively than on hot days.
Thats very sweet! Our cats like radiators too, and will sit on the surface if the dishwashers been on He sounds like a nice relaxed dog!

Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
It all depends on the breed of dog. Breeds with "pushed in" muzzles (can't think of the correct term) like my Shar-Pei don't cope with heat very well and too much exercise causes her to overheat and pant her heart out and I have to cool her down with damp towels.

In summer when the temp here gets up to +30C I only take her out early morning or in the evening when it's cooler. In winter when the temps -10C she comes alive and get very energetic.

By contrast my Tibetan Spaniel is full of energy when its hot but feels the cold badly and she's already wearing a warm coat. In winter I can't walk her far because she'll start to shiver and when I get her home I have to warm her up with a "hotty bottle".

A real "no win" situation!
Yep definatly a no win situation there! The pushed in faces are Brachycephalic Dogs.

Originally Posted by emma47 View Post
I must admit i didn't realise how much the hotter weather had affected him until it has started to get cooler. I was putting him slowing down to his age but since the weather has cooled he seems to have a lot more energy and is definitely more lively and running about more on his walks.
Thats great he has a new lease of life this winter

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Same with Louie and Sadie
Haha you have your work cut out all year round then !

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
My lot are really lethargic in warmer weather, Flynn in particular suffers in summer. Long walks take a back seat in favour of shorter ones near water because my lot get so knackered.

I've been looking forward to the colder weather just because my dogs come alive again and 4 hour walks are no longer a chore to them and they can tank around and burn off calories again.
Strange isn't it - this being her first winter as an adult I have really noticed it. I think Kestral is going to love the cold rainy walks to come

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think a lot of dogs do have more energy when the weather turns colder. I have noticed that the dogs I have had (retrievers) seem much more lively in cooler weather and they have all loved the snow. I have also noticed that when the heating comes on in the house they tend to go out into the conservatory and lie on the tiles to keep cool.
Kestral adores the snow too - buhunds originate from Norway so they must see a lot over there!

Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Yes! Even our older dogs get the zoomies in the cold weather. Nothing like a sprint to warm up.
Aw thats lovely! Even in the park yesterday Kestral started play zoomying round me which is unusual. Then we got back and she zoomied all round the house - seems our usual hour evening walk is no longer long enough!

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Mine love the colder weather. I don't know if it makes them livelier (as they are a pretty lively bunch anyway) but they certainly seem to relish it.
Thats a good job they like it as it must get pretty cold for you I'm so excited for snow this year!

Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Can't say temperature makes any difference to mine but Hannah is like a naughty kid when its windy.
Aw how funny! The wind scares Kestral Makes things blow about!

Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Moxie is a pup again in the cooler weather. It gets too hot here to do much of anything during the spring/summer months. She seems to really age over the summers, but once fall hits she's zooming around like a puppy. Its as if the years just fall right off of her.
Must be lovely to see It must get quite hot for you over there though!

Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Alfie is the opposite!

He hates the rain/cold/dark, when he gets up for his pee in the morning, if it's any of these he does a wee quick, then lazes about allllllll day, if it's warmer out he will happily be up and on the go earlier
Haha that sounds like the shih tzu part of him You have a relaxing few months ahead then

Thanks for all the responses, seems like most dogs like the winter with the exception of a few
Roll on the snow!!!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 09:58 AM
You're joking? We have a greyhound - she doesn't do cold... she definitely does NOT do wet... as for snow - I can only imagine the horror!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Hard to tell with mine, they are a fairly lively breed most of the time, they do like to be covered up and warm though.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
You're joking? We have a greyhound - she doesn't do cold... she definitely does NOT do wet... as for snow - I can only imagine the horror!
That sounds like Alfie.... until the snow part... he actually really likes the snow....

He is a bizarre animal
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2011, 10:28 AM
i always found when there was a good covering of frost/show the dogs would go that little bit extra, running in all the fresh stuff with a chill up their backsides and steam coming out their mouths........

P.S just brought a tender moment back for me of my old boy... God its so silly , you think you are getting over it and WHAM!!!!!! somethign triggers it off all over again
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Max can be quite lethargic in hot weather, cold weather doesn't make him more lively but, like Hannah, he is very lively and very cheeky when it is windy.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Ruby (lab) would run in all kinds of weather until she keeled over if I let her...she doesn't know when to stop regardless of hot ot cold

Khal likes to be warm but runs like a loon when its windy.

Sasi (NI) is very lazy in the heat & comes to life when its cold..she loves the cold & rain!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >