Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
See, this is where this theory/statement differs. Sadie is a downstairs only dog at her owners house, whereas here she has full run like the rest of them, yet she listens better than Louie and responds better to me than her actual owners, who don't spoil her or anything, she's just a pet. I suppose it could be an age difference though..

But saying all that - she is a different dog and I shouldn't be comparing them..
but my gruesome twosome sleep on the bed with me
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
but my gruesome twosome sleep on the bed with me
Louie has the bed, Sadie in the leather chair in our room and Benjie the floor - he's too hairy and takes up way too much room - despite Louie being bigger than him. Plus Benjie can be a bit possessive of the bed so I'd rather not be bitten or growled at when entering my own room.. OH doesn't see it that way though - he think I'm pushing Benjie out
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Louie has the bed, Sadie in the leather chair in our room and Benjie the floor - he's too hairy and takes up way too much room - despite Louie being bigger than him. Plus Benjie can be a bit possessive of the bed so I'd rather not be bitten or growled at when entering my own room.. OH doesn't see it that way though - he think I'm pushing Benjie out
Nooooo, they only sleep where they want to.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:02 PM
...with dogs like sibes i think it goes the other way..they are like 'sod u,dont need yous anyway'
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:04 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ah

Bit like City Beating United this afternoon
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Kestral is with me pretty much ALL the time - and she listens to me very reliably - when she doesnt I think thats my lack of training!
For some dogs though I guess this could be the case..
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Something said on KB's thread got me thinking. Do dogs respond better to commands etc when they don't have constant access to their owners? I don't mean like when you go out for a few hours - but when you're in the house and they aren't allowed upstairs etc.

I've thought lately that Louie gets to be with me all the time and no matter how much training I put in, he doesn't always listen, however Benjie and Sadie - who I don't have with me all the time, listen almost perfectly (no ones perfect).

Now I know other things factor in, Louie is young and still learning, he has his hormones racing round and all that.. but I can't help but feeling if he wasn't able to be around me all the time, would his behaviour improve?

Am I just asking something ridiculous or can this be the case..
Because of working dogs and their lifestyles, I've always believed this to be the case. It's a good thing that attention and play with the people that own/train them can be such high rewards.

But I can't do it... my dogs are independant around the house, not clingy at all but it's me that often goes seeking them out for a hug, or offering them a spot on the bed I'm really bad, i just love them maybe i'm 'needy'! Haha! Luckily they're toy/treat reward orientated heehee.

As my Dad shouted at me down the phone the other day... "You'd rather have had your dogs at your wedding than your own parents!" LOL (this wasn't the case, they actually refused to come but made me chuckle as I thought yeah! Damn right, they've been there more for me than you have for the past year! )
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Well truthfully, I don`t care. I`m not going to alter my lifestyle for some theory that might apply to some dogs and some owners.
My dogs and I inhabit our living space as we choose. They don`t always sit in the same room. Occasionally at night they b*gger off and sleep downstairs.
What makes our relationship good is that I play with and feed them.
I saw a programme recently about police dogs who spend all day working with their handler, who then takes them for a walk and then they go home together.
Are you saying this relationship is weak? I don`t think so.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Not at all C&D - I was merely questioning that is there something behind all this but then, I know better and I know all the training and effort put into a dog is the cause of this as well as the difference in dogs and their personality.

So maybe there isn't anything behind this thread.. but as I said - it was just going over in my mind after reading the thread so I thought I'd ask
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Maybe breed has something to do with this too.

I know Akitas are very loyal to their own, aloof with others, they love us, so if we were to ignore them the majority of the time only pay them attention as a reward then they would probably take the attitude of 'pffft, you must be joking'.

Does a dog do things for you out of love?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >