View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 05:57 PM
this may be ignorant of me but how do you go about getting a dog from a pound?

they say if they are unclaimed within 7 days they are put to sleep, so can anyone just go in and claim one? i dont even know where my local pound would be?! where are they normally? i know it sounds really ignorant of me but i genuinely dont really know about the pound.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Sorry. Yes, Mindy was due to be pts before we rescued her from a pound. She had a date............I rang them. they sent her to a rescue centre.

Either she was the lucky one, or I Was??

I think the latter ........
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
this may be ignorant of me but how do you go about getting a dog from a pound?

they say if they are unclaimed within 7 days they are put to sleep, so can anyone just go in and claim one? i dont even know where my local pound would be?! where are they normally? i know it sounds really ignorant of me but i genuinely dont really know about the pound.
It usually depends on the individual pound. Local shelters in my area put stray dogs on a 72 hour hold to give the owner a chance to claim them, then they are put up for adoption, they get at least an additional 72 hours before they are pts. Some get more time, if there is room at the shelter, or someone can foster, or sponsor the dog, but most are pts after 7 days total. Surrendered dogs go straight up for adoption and have 72 hours unless their is room etc.

Its a truly sad state of affairs here. Pups are routinely euthanized. People surrender pets to shelters thinking they are getting a chance, but they really don't. What kills me are people who take their old dogs to shelters to "find a new home" and they end up just dying alone in a strange place with strange people. Wish these people would have to guts to pts their pets themselves. have some decency.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2