Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by samson13 View Post
IMO the breed selection of the dog echo's the breed selection of the human !

Ouch !

That has gone over my head ..lol
what is the dog echo???
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2011, 06:08 PM
should have added a comma after dog !
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I thought it was a dog mag or paper ..
''The Dog Echo''...lol
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I suppose I'm referring to the designer dogs that match the people who buy them !
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I have spoken to people who have the "designer cross-breeds" and they genuinely don't seem to realise that you can already buy dogs that are suitable for people who are asthmatic or just don't want dog hairs littering their house/clothes.

I explain to them that I am asthmatic and a "normal" moulting breed of dog would make me ill and I could not risk one of these new cross-breeds as they are not guaranteed to be non-shedding and they are surprised!

Given the number of Poodle x Labs I have met that definitely are shedding one would hope that asthmatic people did not get "conned" into buying these as I would imagine a lot would have ended up in rescue as a result.

I can understand the desire for having something different but would like to add that is NOT why I choose my breed. We wanted something similar to an Airedale but medium-sized and non-shedding, and trainable and the Kerry Blue fitted the bill. I do like having an unusual breed of dog now as you do get loads of people come up and talk to you about your dogs which I do enjoy (I always have to leave them at home now if I want to go anywhere in a hurry! ).
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Some people just can't bear to have run-of-the-mill anything, including dogs. I don't think it's just a 'designer dog' thing though.
This post I really agree with. I'm not sure that people are bored of traditional breeds as such, just that some people want something that not many other people have.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 06:36 PM
It is simple and cheap to have something that not many other people have..............

.......... many of them do not have a well trained dog!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't necesarily think so - I still see loads of labs, spaniels etc. Having said that there are definatley more oodles and poos. Even met a schnoodle the other day!

Perhaps there is more info out there on less well known breeds what with the Internet and places like discover dogs.

Although I own quite a rare breed I would be more than happy to get a more well known one providing it met my lifestyle requirements.
I think as long as people do their research and gets something to suit - it's nice to see some different breeds about.. Probably more people that get an unknown breed pick something more suitable than those that get a cocker spaniel because they look nice but underestimate how much energy and time they need...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Following on from Murfs thread, do you think people are getting a little bit bored of the traditional breeds? Perhaps explaining why some of the 'new' breeds have become popular? Along with crosses and 'designer' crosses?
I think it strange that anyone could say that they are 'bored' with having a choice of the 210 breeds which are currently recognised by the KC. If someone says they are that says a lot to me about the person in question.

As far as I am concerned the 'new breeds' or to be correct 'new cross-breeds'/mixed breeds ' are catering to an ill informed few and the 'I want to be different' brigade.

If people aren't particularly concerned about having a dog with the traits of a recognised breed which has taken many generations to establish they would be better to acquire a cross-breed from a rescue than to line the pockets of the unscrupulous breeders who con people into thinking they are buying a 'new breed'.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Sausage dogs lol
wot like `ot dogs?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >