View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I changed Ranger onto raw as I wasn't happy with his poos. When he came to us he was on bakers, and I got him off of that onto beta large breed puppy. On both of them he would have sloppy poos, drank loads and had a tendancy to be quite hyper. I read a number of posts on here about raw, and decided to go for it. What a difference Good solid poos, one dish of water does him a day now (rather than one an hour!!) and he's energetic but not hyper. And the whole look of him is amazing, glossy, full of health. Any dog I ever get from now on will be raw fed (and it's sooooo much cheaper )
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I didn't so much switch over but started on raw with Ruby.
I do give her what I think is a decent kibble as well for some meals.
I do that mainly to make sure I can fall back on to kibble without any problems if the occasions arise.
Previous dogs I have fed various things to but Ruby is the first dog I have fed raw.
Main reason is I feel I am feeding real food that she enjoys.
She appears to be thriving and there is more available information than there used to be.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Dalmatians have trouble with urate stone, and raw allows me to keep him away from foods with high purines. He's been raw since he was 12 weeks old

I swapped my 2 older dogs onto raw as I was going to be feeding my pup raw and it made a lot of sense, Sam always had runny poos and raw helped a lot with that.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 12:22 PM
i switched to raw because daphni was on what is considered to be a good food, yet she was itchy, lost her hair, had really bad tear staining etc and she really wasnt interested in it. she would pick at her food, go days without eating a proper meal. if i mixed in meat she would eat that and spit out the kibble. i was at my wits end, and after reading some posts on here, i did some research and switched. she became interested in her meals again, got excited, eats the food as soon as it goes down, has none of the problems she had on kibble.

then when asbo came in he got put on raw straight away. didnt bother with the kibble he came with from the breeder.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I switched as my last dog Simba was allergic to something in his food - even the hypo allergenic ones - it gave him something similat to doggy ADHD! he was constantly scratching himself and had a re-occuring ear infection

Within 2 weeks of raw feeding he'd calmed right down and stopped itching, within a month his coat gleamed and his ear never flared up again That was enough proof for me that raw is best

So it just seemed natural to follow it on with the 3 I've got now
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
If you switched over from dry/wet food to raw.. why?

I asked myself this question and for some reason I couldn't answer it. I've done all the research to get started, loads more to do. I think the final push was finding (or being told about ) the supplier then I'd made the decision to go the whole hog, got a freezer and now I'm a raw feeder. But all the thoughts behind it must have been subconscious because I can't remember actually choosing it (that all sounds weird) I think though that because I didn't clear it with my OH - it was purely my decision that that's why I feel that I didn't think about it much. I always put most ideas past him - as it concerns the dogs and they are ours but I didn't with this one. I know I asked him after my first order if he was alright with it - but by then it was too late. And his reply was - if it's good for the dogs then why not

So yeah - what made you switch over - or start feeding it in the first place (those who haven't ever switched from anything)..

I switched after doing a year's research into raw which I commenced after losing one dog on the table to Torsion and a previous one indirectly to it.

I decided based on the purely anecdotal evidence of several hundred people including vets and breeders and nutritionists to move over to raw in order to minimise GD and GDV.

I am aware that dogs do and have suffered GD and GDV on the raw feeding regime, however, from a risk assessment point of view, it appeared to be, on the balance of probabilities, that the overall risk was lowered when on raw.

Time will tell.............
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I'd never heard of raw feeding until I joined Dogsey. Information and opinions on here made me look alot closer at what was in the dry kibble I was feeding and I didnt like what I saw. Flynn had really bad skin to the point he would scratch and nibble himself sore and create bald patches. His coat and skin was dry and horrible to touch so I tried various good quality kibbles but saw absolutely no difference. Jed also suffered with iritation on his muzzle and he would scratch sores on it too.
I started buying them some raw chicken and various other bits and they enjoyed it but I couldnt go raw full time because I didnt have the freezer space. Then when I moved back in with my parents I obtained a full height freezer, plonked it in the garage and went raw full time.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I started doing some research when Jake developed allergies, and then after an elimination diet, it was shown to be grain in dog food. I had to decide between hypoallergenic kibble, and raw. Raw just made so much sense, and I didn't even really consider kibble... I just decided on raw, so read as much as I could before starting him on it (I started reading as soon as I thought he had an allergy, even before it was confirmed). Raw was just the natural choice, it made so much sense!

I love that I know exactly what he is eating, and I can usually (not always though) know where the meat is coming from. He has benefited so much, he doesn't drink as much (something I have noticed Paddy doing A LOT, and he is kibble fed), he doesn't poo as much, his poo doesn't smell (Paddy has horrendous poos!), his coat is fantastic, he is bright and energetic, and not hyper... He is just doing AMAZING on it... I will never by choice go back to kibble...
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I have flipped from raw to kibble and back again several times over the years.

At first I over complicated it and could not keep it up.

Now I am more relaxed about it and the shinny coats tells me it is the best. I use natures menu as a back up and for caravaning.

Arden grange I also use for weaning with the raw.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Because Zeke got cancer (Lymphoma) and I felt it would just be another little thing we could do to help prolonge his remission - 11 months now

But now he's on grain free kibble and wet trays or fish for his main meals because the raw began to upset his tummy after a few months
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >