Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by poochpooch View Post
Mod edit spam removed
Neither. You can't leave a puppy alone for 9 hours while you are at work.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Tiny paws never say you canot have to many dogs thats what I always said and now Im up to 8

Hwestie
I find that with more than one dog the dogs often have someone to play with so they dont need you quite so much, but they do get to play much much more so for them its a good thing. Go for it
Know what you mean 7 here as well, like chocolate once started I cant stop.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:58 AM
What`s wrong with two dogs is...
it`s only half way there.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by HWestie View Post
We have a westie and we are going to the dogs trust tomorrow. I would say i'm a bit apprehensive about getting another dog because i don't want our boys life turned upside down. He's got his routine and we have our cuddles etc, but when a friends dog comes to stay for a few days he really loves it! And he seems fed up when that dog goes home. He just lies about looking depressed. He loves other dogs and i know he would like someone his size and age to play about with. I think i might be being selfish to my own wants, as i don't want to lose the relationship i have with him. He might not need me as much if he has another dog to interact with. But i do know how happy he'd be and how much it would improve his life to have a friend. If you've been in my situation, please tell me how you felt and what the outcome was. thankyou.
If you are not absolutely sure that you want another dog and will be able to devote as much time and attention to a second dog as the first, then I would say don't have another just because you think your dog needs a pal. Two are definitely more work, more money, more mess, more time consuming and the new dog will probably have its own set of demands on you. I don't think you can think of it as being primarily a playmate for your existing dog to make him happier.
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I love having two, seeing the way they interact and having one seems a bit boring now.

My first wasn't keen on my second when he arrived and they will never sleep together and rarely play together. If I took one away I don't think the other would be bothered, but they get along fine.

Lead walking two has taken years of practice and they still tangle me up occasionally. There isn't much room left on the two seater sofa when one dog is next to you on his back with his legs in the air and if they both decide to sleep on the sofa there is no room for me at all.

If one has a behaviour problem, the other may copy or pick up bad habits.

Double the food, insurance, vet bills etc., extra physical strength needed if they are both large dogs!
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I can only speak from personal experience but my youngest keeps the oldster on his toes and stops him ( and me ) from vegetating ( Dylan 3 and Jasper 9 )

My youngest tends to get jealous - pushing his way in when I'm stroking the old boy but they both get their fair share.

Downside - you don't know who to blame for the damage while you are at work !
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 01:16 PM
When they're both on-lead and poo simultaneously at maximum possible distance from each other so you're left juggling two leads, two dogs, poo bag and arms at full extension in each direction!

Oh and trying to fit on the sofa with two furry bums on there.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I think two dogs is the ideal number (for me anyway, although I currently have 3!). They have a doggy friend to keep them company if you have to go out, they play together and generally seem to enjoy just having another dog around. Two dogs are easy to walk (as you have two hands for leads ), no problem (usually) to take on holiday etc.

The downsides are the extra costs, but for me, the pros of having two definitely outweigh any cons.

I would definitely say though that it is better to have a few years between dogs, and also make sure dog one is well behaved and trained before getting dog two.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2