Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.buav.org/article/832
ps
If the link is not allowed by all means delete ..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Ah, hang on, I'd just like to clarify that I am an academic research scientist, I do not work for a drugs company testing drugs, we do molecular and cellular level research into genes, signalling pathways, proteinrotein interaction etc etc.....

Therefore I cannot comment on drugs companies and their research labs, just how it works in Universities.

Mostly we have mice who are transgenic, they live in cages just like a pet mouse, with mandatory "cage furniture," feeding routines etc etc. They don't know they are carrying a human gene

When I get a chance, I shall respond with a longer post.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Sorry but GlaxoSmithkline is a truely evil company and one I avoid when ever possible! Of course i dont condone violence at all but i dont like the company.

Yes it is currently the law that all new medicines are tested on animals first which has to change before anything else. however there is no excuse for household products, cosmetics, food ect to be tested on animals in the UK. There is also no excuse for this company to give trade to Huntindon life sciences which is as far removed from humane as you can get.
Mmmmm well family members of mine are research scientists there, weird though I wouldnt say they were evil in any way.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:05 PM
It's very difficult for me this one. I hate all animal testing, yet I take medicines that have been tested on animals. I have leather shoes and eat meat too.
I absolutely believe all cosmetic and non medical testing is a disgrace. However, if a drug was to save Graham's life, and it ad been tested on animals, I would want him to have it.
That said....if it was me who was in a lab cage being experimented on, I would be extremely frightened and not very happy.
I admit I am a hypocrite....I detest animal testing yet take meds that have been tested on animals. I don't know what the answer is
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Very interesting, thanks everyone who has participated so far. I will have a look at all the links when I get a chance.

I too sit on the fence on this one. Animal testing for new drugs that could save lives I can probably deal with (after all, I do take medicines as do my dogs etc when needed). Unnecessary testing for cosmetics or other trivial human fancies I find pretty abhorrent.

I wish there were another way. I know the Plague Dogs is quite an old book (1974) and, as such, I truly hope that none of the experiments described in the book are still being done on animals. In the Preface, Richard Adams does say "There is no such place in the Lake District as Animal Research (Scientific and Experimental). In reality, no single testing or experimental station would cover so wide a range of work as Animal Research. However, ever "experiment" described is one which has actually been carried out on animals somewhere".

Has anyone else read The Plague Dogs? If not, you really should. It is a bit of a dark and, at times, depressing read, but it is also extremely well written and make compulsive reading.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I cant remember the details but i know the Beagle farm in East riding wanted planning permission for a bigger site and there were loads of petitions against it ..
Yep beagles are still being tested on
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
The facts are that many people would not be alive today had it not been for animal testing (Diabetes is one case in point).

The facts are that very few things are achieved without cost.

The facts are that whilst I would always ask "is it possible to achieve the same effect without it" I would happily get ANY treatment no matter what the cost (I think) if my daughter was terminally ill.

If the choice is for example battery v free range eggs, it is no contest (as long as I have the money).

There are all sorts of competing factors to be taken into consideration if choices have to be made.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Personally, I think its a vital thing and cannot see it being abolished completely. I am in support of all testing for medical research.
Totally agree.
If it wasn't for medical animal testing, I wouldn't be here.

When I had my transplant in January, I know one fo the drugs I had contained mouse DNA, , and i'm sure a lot of the other drugs I've had, and trials I've been on have been tested on animals.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Totally agree.
If it wasn't for medical animal testing, I wouldn't be here.

When I had my transplant in January, I know one fo the drugs I had contained mouse DNA, , and i'm sure a lot of the other drugs I've had, and trials I've been on have been tested on animals.
Have you had an increase in the love of cheese??
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Have you had an increase in the love of cheese??
MURF! you're terrible
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >