View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I respect HFW, his animal welfare standards are high and he uses just about every part of the animal so there is very little wastage. I also like how he tries to educate the public about where their meat comes from and why they should choose the welfare options.

I totally see his point. It's purely culture which dictates our views on what is right and wrong to eat.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I must say he has a point, as others have said whats the difference, except we have dogs as pets. I have rabbits as pets but have eaten rabbit on one occasion and probably would again.
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I think the reason Americans frown upon eating cats and dogs and make jokes about it is that Americans don't normally consider carnivores as food. Asians don't seem to have that stigma, so they have no problem using dogs for meat. I think that they use different kinds of dogs for meat than for pets though.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I am a bit of a HFW fan (putting it lightly...I have all of his book, and the collection)

I totally agree with him...if dogs were raised and slaughtered humanely, then what is the difference between that and pig/sheep/cow.

Of the people who are up in arms about it, and calling him an ass...how many are happy to eat chicken from Brazil, Beef from South America, and Pork from Denmark (crate system anyone?) or your plain and simple battery eggs.

Hypocrite?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I've just seen a thread about this on another forum and all but one person was disgusted by his comments. Doesnt surprise me though considering the kind of forum it is.

I only eat chicken and beef and make sure it's UK reared. I cant bring myself to eat chicken from Poland, Thailand or Brazil, just sends shivers down my spine.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I am a bit of a HFW fan (putting it lightly...I have all of his book, and the collection)

I totally agree with him...if dogs were raised and slaughtered humanely, then what is the difference between that and pig/sheep/cow.

Of the people who are up in arms about it, and calling him an ass...how many are happy to eat chicken from Brazil, Beef from South America, and Pork from Denmark (crate system anyone?) or your plain and simple battery eggs.

Hypocrite?

Totally agree!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I eat meat. I could not eat dog meat, cat meat, or horse meat come to that. However, I do see HFW's point. As most people have already said, as a society dogs, cats and horses are our pets and we could no more eat them than, say, eat our own children However, cows, sheep and pigs are all sensitive and intelligent creatures but because, as a society, we are brought up eating these animals and seeing them as livestock we are ok with it (so long as farm animals have a decent life and the slaughter is done as humanely as possible).

However, throughout history dogs have been hunters, guarders and companions for man, so then to turn around and eat them would seem unjust from that view!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Pigs are among the most intelligent of all animals, yet they suffer horrendously
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I eat meat. I could not eat dog meat, cat meat, or horse meat come to that. However, I do see HFW's point. As most people have already said, as a society dogs, cats and horses are our pets and we could no more eat them than, say, eat our own children However, cows, sheep and pigs are all sensitive and intelligent creatures but because, as a society, we are brought up eating these animals and seeing them as livestock we are ok with it (so long as farm animals have a decent life and the slaughter is done as humanely as possible).

However, throughout history dogs have been hunters, guarders and companions for man, so then to turn around and eat them would seem unjust from that view!
I agree with Leanne's and your comment, and particularly the bit I put in italics, is probably why I think people from this culture don't eat dog/cat.

However, myself I could not eat dog, cat, horse (and many other meats). I also only buy british produce when it comes to meat and eggs, and now living in a village it means that just about everything I can buy will be from a farm near us including eggs, fruit and veg.

I can live with being a hypocrit in some respects
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I do really like HFW, I think that he has raised so much intrest for the concern for animal welfare, and get chicken out emails (off hand think thats what its called), I believe that he cares, and uses what he can to make more people aware of the plight of animals, I mean he may not be aswell known as Gordon Ramsey, but he is using his influence where he can, and uses it for better things, and I do hope that this makes people think more about animal welfare.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »