View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Go leave food a quarter of a mile up the road!!

Or just use your air-rifle to spike his bum
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Next door has chickens.. He hasn't been back since though and normally they're persistent aren't they. I have two of my hutches over our cesspit so I think the smell (not that we can smell it) of human waste is deterring them from them two, I mean, my pup used to be able to get in easy to them so a fox could. But we've just moved one and he's got a run underneath his hutch and I need to put some wire on the ground but haven't got round to it yet.. must do it this weekend! They're going to get desperate with the winter too aren't they...
I know foxes are beautiful animals, but they are not wanted in your gardens. The papers reported quite a few getting into peoples houses last summer/autumn in the evenings.

One of our neighbours has had foxes rip open rabbit cages to get to them. They don't just want to say hello.

Like I said, I would love to rescue some battery chickens, but my OH whilst walking our dogs out on their last walk, says that he sees foxes on a regular basis outside our garden.

Would the local council not be able to do anything about them if they are getting close to your property?
marumrose
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Why not get a PIR light fitted, solar ones are available too. I am sure that it would deter reynard when a light comes on. otherwise shoot it with a water-pistol!!.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
We have a light fitted so we can see the dogs at night, having the garden I have I'd like to see where they are going so it's on when they go out to toilet...

Checked on the rabbits, they're all there, it rained last night but Louie found somethings scent.

I would love to know how it's getting in because the dogs can't get out at all, but letting Louie or Benjie loose after it isn't a possibility because we have a main road one side which lorries pass at night and a farmers field the other full of corn on the cob.. so I can't let Louie go - his recall is better off a chase but only with birds - which is what we had the problem with but Benjie's is alright I suppose... I don't know I'm going to feed the dogs indoors today though..
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 09:32 AM
My uncle was feeding his dog raw, until summer hit and the wasps got so bad the dog had stings all over her, and the kids couldn't go outside, and the coyotes came a callin'... Sophie's fed a quality kibble now.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Apparently human hair and urine around your perimeter deters them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Next time I am shaving my (insert relevant body hair) I will do so outside and pee simultaneously.

Not sure what the neighbours will think but who cares!
ROFLMHO
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Next time I am shaving my (insert relevant body hair) I will do so outside and pee simultaneously.

Not sure what the neighbours will think but who cares!
ROFLMHO
LMAO!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Apparently human hair and urine around your perimeter deters them
Yep, but it must be male urine as I understand it - it is the testosterone that they don't like. Not sure how effective it is but many chicken keepers say about human hair. We have some on our back fence.

Is electric fencing an option for you, either round your garden fence or around the rabbits hutch? You can get a 'fox watch', similar to one of ultra sonic cat watches. I don't have one, a lot of chicken keepers I know do and may swear by them. However, I think it may affect your dogs so it could only be switched on when they weren't out there.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Could you feed on a big sheet indoors ?

Ollie was mostly raw fed but I never fed him outside we have foxes and rats as we live right on a huge field/nature reserve and they are very common here. We have never had foxes in the garden not sure if that is because the back garden is surrounded by 6 ft high fencing or not.

We did have rats once we lost our last cat. I stopped feeding the birds in the back garden they just get fed from the front garden now and hey presto rat dissapeared. We also found the run it was using under our fence and filled it in.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >