Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, as always you're brill

My Poppy came over from Ireland too - luckily not trained as I'm rubbish at accents

It was just something I'd pondered on for a while xx
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Rue is most likely from Ireland. Apparently her chip number has an Irish prefix, is not registered to anyone and is new (new sticker on vacc card done by rescue). This points to her having been chipped by a rescue in Ireland before being brought over andput up for adoption at Cheshire Dogs Home. If it wasn't for the chip, we'd never have known.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Louie also came over from Ireland. He'd been in kennels there for ages before the English Setter rescue brought him over for me.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Jimmi came over from Ireland too - transported by DT to Evesham.

Their comment was that Ireland is akin to a 3rd world country in it's attitude to animals, and dogs in particular. Obviously this is a little sweeping and there will be many Irish people I am sure who are appalled by the situation, but the fact remains that over there strays, abandoned dogs and cruelty cases are at an all time high.

We too tried the Irish accent thing (husband throwing some choice swear words into the mix just in case Jimmi was used to those) - no luck though I think that he is a bit thick to be honest.........Jimmi that is, not husband.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:13 PM
There are many brilliant dog owners in Ireland and also many very good rescue organisations. In my opinion there are also many bad ones including the ISPCA. I have lived here since 1996 and do not agree at all that Ireland is akin to a 3rd world country. Of course there are bad owners and breeders here as there in in any country but there are also the very good ones.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Their comment was that Ireland is akin to a 3rd world country in it's attitude to animals, and dogs in particular. Obviously this is a little sweeping .....
Having read what Claire&Daisy posted, it's not sweeping at all.... it's spot on. Ireland has no RSPCA or equivalent. It is also the puppy farming capital of Europe, so no wonder it is awash in unwanted dogs
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Having read what Claire&Daisy posted, it's not sweeping at all.... it's spot on. Ireland has no RSPCA or equivalent. It is also the puppy farming capital of Europe, so no wonder it is awash in unwanted dogs
Oh there is. There is the ISPCA and they are
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
There are many brilliant dog owners in Ireland and also many very good rescue organisations. In my opinion there are also many bad ones including the ISPCA. I have lived here since 1996 and do not agree at all that Ireland is akin to a 3rd world country. Of course there are bad owners and breeders here as there in in any country but there are also the very good ones.
The RSPCA is not too clever sometimes either is it Thank goodness for all the good people, both in Ireland and in this country.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Quite a few dogs on here brought over from Ireland...our Bruce being one of them plus his siblings and parents
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
Oh there is. There is the ISPCA and they are
There is???? Thanks for putting me right Abbie ... but I guess they are as much use as an ashtray on a bicycle.... Or I'm sure I'd have heard of them before now

Some years ago I had a great friend who went to live in Roscommon, and came back to England a year or two later bringing with him Millie, a GSP former breeding machine he'd rescued himself while living there. I got to know her well, lovely dog but scared of her own shadow unfortunately. I suppose she was the first Irish rescue I ever met, as this was 9 years ago.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >