Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Sounds like playing to me - unless he's in stop running around or I'll flatten you mode.
He tries to grab my bitch and has pulled her down by the scruff before. He is a dominate but nervous dog so it's a bit difficult. He doesn't fetch or play tug or even anything with a toy..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Sounds like typical old school gun dog teaching. It is a load of old rubbish really.

The gundog trainers we have trained with (who train all types -- HPR's, retrievers, etc.) all actively encourage the use of toys both generally and as a reward. What they don't encourage is leaving training aids such as dummies and tennis balls lying around giving the dog free access. If the dog has access to these at all times they become less interesting. Apart from that though, it is all good.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:13 PM
TBF the person that responded to that effect on the aforesaid forum was a man who I think was assuming that the dogs are left alone with softy fluffy toys etc
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

""Dogs need toys" is what polite Yanks would call "horse feathers". Dogs that don't gain fulfillment from their environment may benefit from toys as it is preferential that they chew toys rather than each other and deffinitely not themselves. Toys are a soft option for lazy owners."
If the terrierist was out rabbiting or on rat catching duties I doubt he'd be too fussed about toys. Another dog to play with would also suit him. Don't bother with toys if he's out with the bicycle either. Could switch the argument to dogs need to play. So while dogs don't necessarily need toys they provide a good outlet in the absense of others. Soft option - maybe. Lazy? Probably requires more owner input if anything IMO.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
TBF the person that responded to that effect on the aforesaid forum was a man who I think was assuming that the dogs are left alone with softy fluffy toys etc
Thats why I posted the whole quote.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I certainly don't think it is lazy for an owner to give their dogs toys to play with in addition to walking, playing with the dog and training them etc.

I don't think it would be right though for an owner to give their dog toys to play purely to save the owner interacting with them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Prince this morning brought me a letter, a shredded piece of paper, then ran off with a cup. When out he happily played with a plastic bottle and a coke can and a polystyrene tray, then tried to scrape the remains of a sandwich off the pavement. I think on the whole I`d rather he played with toys.

eta - forgot the ivy prunings.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:29 PM
But a piece of paper, a cup, plastic bottle and coke can, and tray ARE toys to the dog!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But a piece of paper, a cup, plastic bottle and coke can, and tray ARE toys to the dog!
true. Bless him. But now I`ve got him playing with dog toys he at least has stopped pinching kids` footballs.
(although he did spit out a golf ball on the way home the other day that I hadn`t noticed him pinching)
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Prince this morning brought me a letter, a shredded piece of paper, then ran off with a cup. When out he happily played with a plastic bottle and a coke can and a polystyrene tray, then tried to scrape the remains of a sandwich off the pavement. I think on the whole I`d rather he played with toys.

eta - forgot the ivy prunings.
This IS Sasi I take a ball out for her as a reward if she does recall, she gets the ball thrown a little distance for her, she'll chase it unless she comes across a butterfly, a bottle, a flower, a blade of grass........you catch my drift
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >