View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
iluvdanes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It is certainly an eye opener when something like this happens.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:50 AM
So sorry to read about this I do hope your girly gets over it, which am sure she will with time.

My lot have collars on when going out, straight off again as soon as I get back from walking them. They're too boisterous to keep them on, unfortunatly accidents to happen x
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I knew about this and when the dogs are at home, their collars are off, but when out walking in the local park, they play bitey face with each other and some of the other dogs ( One of them a GD coincidentally ) but obviously wear their collars as they are in a public place.

I think that I may take their collars off in the park as their recall is quite good so thanks for the reminder.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by samson13 View Post
I think that I may take their collars off in the park as their recall is quite good so thanks for the reminder.
Just be aware that it's a legal requirement to have an ID tag on the dog in any public places, as per The Control of Dogs Order 1992.
Personally I wouldn't remove a collar out in the park, as good as their recall is, something could cause them to bolt and you have missing dogs with no visible ID and no collar for anyone to grab. If you're worried then perhaps switch to clip collars that can be undone more quickly than buckle collars, so you don't need to worry about having to cut the collar to release it. A correctly fitted collar won't be so much of a risk too so just doublecheck it's not too tight but not too loose either. Alternatively you could use harnesses and put ID tags on these.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I knew about this and when the dogs are at home, their collars are off, but when out walking in the local park, they play bitey face with each other and some of the other dogs ( One of them a GD coincidentally ) but obviously wear their collars as they are in a public place.

Dogs are still required to have ID on at all times when out & about. I had to start taking Rubys collar off at the beach , as soon as she went near the sea Khal would grab her collar to almost choking point. She now wears a harness with a tag on, he can't grab her with that as much as he could with her collar on & at least she is still legally compliant.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Just be aware that it's a legal requirement to have an ID tag on the dog in any public places, as per The Control of Dogs Order 1992.
Personally I wouldn't remove a collar out in the park, as good as their recall is, something could cause them to bolt and you have missing dogs with no visible ID and no collar for anyone to grab. If you're worried then perhaps switch to clip collars that can be undone more quickly than buckle collars, so you don't need to worry about having to cut the collar to release it. A correctly fitted collar won't be so much of a risk too so just doublecheck it's not too tight but not too loose either. Alternatively you could use harnesses and put ID tags on these.
Good post Karly I've had to start using a harness on Ruby, see my post above xx
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-09-2011, 12:29 PM
They already have clip half choke collars but I'm still not confident that this would be adequate with two scared dogs.

In the 3 1/2 years that i have had my youngest neither dog has abandoned me in the park in pursuit of another dog so it's only a small risk when compared with their playing but I take your point that they are never 100%
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 12:40 PM
In the 3 1/2 years that i have had my youngest neither dog has abandoned me in the park in pursuit of another dog so it's only a small risk when compared with their playing but I take your point that they are never 100%
But have you ever had them get caught up by their collars either?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:11 PM
sorry to read that.

thats why mine dont wear theirs in the house ever.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:21 PM
They already have clip half choke collars but I'm still not confident that this would be adequate with two scared dogs.

i wouldnt be leaving h/c on a free running dog..ive seen too many front legs caught up in them.

id change to a flat buckle clip one for walkies and tag.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >