Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 11:24 PM
She is only 8 weeks old and dosent have a clue what you want
her world has been turned upside down from being with her mum and her littermates and now she just has you

I know its difficult
She is going to have plenty accidents - she dosent know she should go outside yet - just clean up and wait for her to do something outside then praise her like mad
some dogs are quicker at it than others but if you dont expect her to be fully clean tll at least 6 months that gives you an idea of how much you are expecting at 8 weeks!!
and of course she can hold it longer at nighttime - its natural - so can you. But when exciting things happen in the daytime that stimulates the bladder - puppies do go ALOT

as for the crate
yup they will hate it if it is used to dump them in and leave them alone
alone is scary

Where does she sleep? You could have her crate up beside your bed so she gets used to chilling in her crate next to you
play games of her running into her crate for a treat or a bit of food

but dont shut her up and walk away from her till she likes her crate
feeding her in there is a good thing too - but again for now dont lock her in there
stay with her while she starts eating then wonder away so she can choose to come with you or keep eating

she isnt to young to learn - some simple 'stay' exercises can be good to build up confidence that she dosent have to be right with you all the time

but above all remember she is new and a baby, you are both getting to know each other

and puppies are hard hard work, cute rewarding but hard work
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
OK Ben...maybe I'm expecting too much on the wee front, but as for the crate I have done everything by the book. Put her in, gave treats let her out again, played with her through the bars, told her she was fab etc. The crate is brand new, lined with soft blankets has her toys in and still she wees/poos in it! The couple of times I've cheerfully put her in and shut the door she has gone mental...even though I'm just sitting on the sofa 6 feet away from her. She's never been left alone yet-but will be tomorrow so God knows what I'll come back to.
She sleeps on my bed with my other doggie. That's when I like her best-when she's asleep!!
I think my older dog set a high benchmark-she was no bother so this has all come as a massive shock to be honest.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2011, 07:09 AM
It's perfectly normal for dogs to pee and poo in their crate until they learn what's expected. My pup has a gorgeous highsided fluffy bed inside her crate and guess where her favourite toilet spot was They just don't see things the way we do, so you just have to persevere until the penny drops. It's normal to have to watch them like a hawk, otherwise there will be accidents, and yes they will pee right in front of your eyes and not see anything wrong with it. You need to get a grip because this could go on for quite a while, my Dobermann was 20 weeks before it all clicked into place and do you know how big a Dobermann wee can be My solution is to keep them on tiled surfaces as much as possible in the early days and keep a mop handy. My pug pup came crate trained but it didn't stop her having a strop when she was put in her crate and the others were wandering around, it's perfectly normal for her to want to be with you, just tell her to be quiet and only let her back out when she is quiet. The more frequently you pop her in the crate for a few minutes while you do something else the sooner she'll get used to it. To be honest having a pup always comes as a shock to the system, we forget very quickly just how labour intensive it is. I've had 6 pups in the last 6 years and can now do it in my sleep, which sometimes is just as well cos somedays I do feel like a zombie
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 07:19 AM
As with a human baby, young animals take a while to get control of their bodily functions.
(BTW I do hope you`re joking when you describe her as the devil pup, because you`re now her mum. )
It takes a lot of time, tears, effort, learning, sleepless nights and hard work to raise pups (or kids) and there are precious few short cuts.
I suggest you get a couple of good puppy books (nothing by the Mexican Dog-Botherer) and start again?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Get her used to sleeping in the crate at night . Put it beside your bed and just say shhhhh if she cries to let her know you are there .
What are you feeding her on ? Wet dog food which is very palatable to dogs has lots of water in it and it may be that she is completely overloaded with water .
If she is fed on slightly wetted dry dog food and has constant access to water she will be able to regulate her own fluid intake .
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Where does your pup sleep overnight now? You need to leave the cage door open through the day & anytime she goes in it, treat her. Put a kong in there with someting really smelly & tasty in it, so she really WILL want to wander in there to investigate it, make sure you leave the door open though.
Once she realises se can go in there without the door being closed then she'll start seeing it as a den & a place to chillax.
Once ses relaxed like that, you can then maybe sut the door for a couple of minutes at a time. If she creates a fuss , ignore, AS SOON as shes quiet open the door , make a fuss & let her see its fine to be there.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 10:12 AM
try putting her in the crate when she is looking sleepy and sit with her gently stroking her till she drops off
dont move away to the sofa - thats miles away (in puppy miles that is)
hide treats and toys in there so she can go in there at points during the day on her own and get something nice

have it by your side when you are watching tv and have her in there - with the door open

slowly teach closing the door as a trick - closes a bit - opens right up and she gets something yummy
closes a bit more - again something nice - before she can protest
feed some of her meals that way - then as she is working for her food she will be more tired as well

and yup the books have it wrong - pups can and do go to the loo n the crate sometimes - until they get the hang of it
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all your support everyone.

Well...yesterday I really persevered with the crate. It wasn't brilliant but I just had to hope for the best that she'd settle down when I went out last night...but it was worse than I could have imagined. She'd pooed and must have jumped up and down on it in her frantic state so when I got in there was minced poo (sorry!) smeared all over the cage, her blankie and her paws. My other dog was looking traumatised!! So 11.30 last night I had Marigolds on, wrist deep in puppy poo! Just as well I hadnt had too much to drink!
But...the battle goes on. She doesn't mind going in when the door is open so I am going to persevere and put some of your suggestions to work.

One other thing (you lot are going to be sick of me!) is that she doesn't seem to want me out of her sight. Is this normal? If I put both of them outside they just stand and stare at the door until I come back. It's flattering but seems very needy to me which is not what I want at all!!

Thanks a lot
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
Thanks for all your support everyone.

Well...yesterday I really persevered with the crate. It wasn't brilliant but I just had to hope for the best that she'd settle down when I went out last night...but it was worse than I could have imagined. She'd pooed and must have jumped up and down on it in her frantic state so when I got in there was minced poo (sorry!) smeared all over the cage, her blankie and her paws. My other dog was looking traumatised!! So 11.30 last night I had Marigolds on, wrist deep in puppy poo! Just as well I hadnt had too much to drink!
But...the battle goes on. She doesn't mind going in when the door is open so I am going to persevere and put some of your suggestions to work.

One other thing (you lot are going to be sick of me!) is that she doesn't seem to want me out of her sight. Is this normal? If I put both of them outside they just stand and stare at the door until I come back. It's flattering but seems very needy to me which is not what I want at all!!

Thanks a lot

My Yorkie (Molly) is 10 years old, and STILL doesn't like me out of her sights whilst in the house!!!! My Beagle X (Mindy) is almost a year, and is my bodyguard!! I now have two of them follow me to the bathroom!!
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I know the feeling Deb...there's no privacy is there?!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >