View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GandalfTheGrey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Took Niamh back to be checked over by the vet today, was there 45 min before they referred me to the local vet hospital. They took one look at the rugby ball mass on her side and kept her in all day, they did blood tests, imaging scans, biopsies, x-rays and shaved the poor girl. Oh and they helped themselves to £350 out of my wallet, if things dont improve over the course of the next week they want to operate and open up the mass and clean it all out. Oh and they will help themselves to another £550. They think some parasite my have been dormant in her blood stream, they also think she may have a blood clotting issue too.

It does make me wonder about some rescues.... I've only had her for 4 weeks....
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Guinness bruises quite easily....usually after one of the other dogs has stood on him when he's lying on the floor.
I'm so sorry your baby is having a tough time. Big healing vibes coming your way)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).
And lots of dog snogs from my lot to yours xxxxxx

PS...It's quite common for greyhounds to bruise. It's because of their thin skin and lack of fat! xx
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Just wanted to send my best wishes, I really hope they get your girl sorted out asap so you she start enjoying a normal life and for you both to start getting to know each other x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Aww, Poor Niamh. She has really been through it hasn't she?

Lets hope that these tests show that she doesn't have to endure an operation. Poor Girl.

You say that you have only had her 4 weeks? Have you spoken to the rescue with regard to the vet fees? We adopted Mindy from the Dogs Trust towards the end of July, and they told us that if she had any medical problems that may have been in situ prior to her coming to live with us, then they would contribute to the vet fees. Its worth ringing them to see where you stand.

But that is not the priority at the moment is it? We are sending lots of positive healing vibes to Niamh from myself, Molly and Mindy. It sounds as if she is in an awful lot of pain, as well as having to get used to her new mum, dad and surroundings. She has been through enough already. But at least she is now in her forever loving home.

Good Luck coming your way, hoping that she is much better soon x
GandalfTheGrey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey folks,

Just an update on Niamh.

Having been giving Niamh the antibiotics and medication etc the mass on her side started to reduce on wednesday, however in its place were 3 very large cysts filled with puss and blood. She nipped at one and it began to weep so took her to the vets and he said just keep an eye on it and bring her in on tuesday of next week. Well this morning at 4.00am Niamh started wimpering, I came downstairs and was met with a scene straight out of Dexter....2 of the Cysts had ruptured and their was blood absolutely everywhere, I took her in the veterinary school this morning and they have sedated her and opened all the cysts and have flushed them out and I have to now wait for them to hopefully heal in 3/4 weeks. They are keeping her in until tomorrow afternoon. The one piece of good news is that I have received a phone call from the rescue(after sending them a email with pictures) and they will contribute £300 towards the costs.

I now have to wait 30 hours before I can bring her home, in the meantime I have to go get her some nappies(Absorbtion) to help with the healing process....

I will keep you all informed on her progress.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Poor poor girl

Hope she soon feels better, now those cysts have burst.

Hugs from me and mine
xxx
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Poor girlie , hope she feels better soon xxx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Poor girl - what an ordeal.

Fingers crossed that she is now on the mend and you can put all of this behind you and just get on with getting to know each other.

What a nightmare for you all.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Poor Girl,

I bet she feels some relief though in that area now that the cysts have released themselves.

Hope she recovers well, and that you can all settle down together.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2