View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:10 PM
TabithaJ - she is outside for most of the day. She comes in for a few hours mid afternoon, then has her meal and goes back out until she comes in for the night. I have an outside kennel which she goes in too. She doesn't do it during the day, only at night. But, saying that, I have had piles of washing by the washing machine during the day that she has peed on

I have a 13 week old French Bulldog who she is close to and sleeps with in the kitchen also, but even the Frenchie does not toilet in the night.

I will contact the vets again, but he tested for urine infection only 6 weeks ago and her urine results came back clear.

She is such a mystery ...
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Baileys blind - have you ever found the reason why poppy does it?

Velvetboxers - I totally understand what you are saying, and this has been investigated by my vet. He is aware of what she does as she has always done it. I own 14 dogs (most are kept in the outside kennels) and none of them do this. The only 2 dogs I have in the house are the British bulldog and my 13 week old French bulldog. The reason I think it is a dominance thing is because she is in the house and the others are outside she is marking her scent inside I could be wrong.

I don't like dogs on my furniture, but on the odd occasion I have left her there to sleep the night and she hasn't done it. There is a pattern to her doing it. It is only when she sleeps in the kitchen - which is why she is now in a crate and not doing it. Surely it has to be a behaviour issue?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I have no experience in this area, but if all blood work etc is clear so illness is generally ruled out...

Perhaps she likes to pee on soft surfaces?
Have you tried taking her out in the middle of the night, just incase she is struggling to hold it, and looking for somewhere comfortable to go?
If water is left down, or she has drunk lots before bed - 8-12 hours might be too long for her to hold it, even with a pee before bed.
Especially if, like you say she is outside most of the day, so can go as often as she needs most of the time - so night time is a big shock for her.

Do make sure you clean the areas properly and maybe consider a repellent cleaner - often where animals have been before, they are tempted to go again.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
TabithaJ - she is outside for most of the day. She comes in for a few hours mid afternoon, then has her meal and goes back out until she comes in for the night. I have an outside kennel which she goes in too. .....
She is such a mystery ...
Actually, I don`t think there`s any mystery at all.
Read your post - the dog is outside most of the time. So she`s not house trained. She is treating the home as an extension of a kennel.
Start house-training from scratch, keeping her indoors during the day.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Yep Im with you C&D she doesnt actualy know she has to go outside, so start training from scratch.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
TabithaJ - she is outside for most of the day. She comes in for a few hours mid afternoon, then has her meal and goes back out until she comes in for the night. I have an outside kennel which she goes in too. She doesn't do it during the day, only at night. But, saying that, I have had piles of washing by the washing machine during the day that she has peed on

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Actually, I don`t think there`s any mystery at all. Read your post - the dog is outside most of the time. So she`s not house trained. She is treating the home as an extension of a kennel.
Start house-training from scratch, keeping her indoors during the day.
Claire, you beat me to it..was about to say the same thing.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I have a 6 year old Lakeland Terrier who has always soiled in the night, nothing I did solved it until I took her upstairs at night with me. She now sleeps in a tiny space on the end of the bed and has been clean since.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I suspect too she is not actually house trained and possibly prefers one type of surface to "go" on.

However I'd still not rule out a health problem - some dogs can even have congential defects which can cause bladder problems, so I think you need a very in depth chat with your vet about every single possibility.

If health is ruledout (and it's hard if not impossible to totally rule it out) you could consider a reputable behaviourist, for example www.apbc.org.uk to help unravel the problem.

Hth
Wys
x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Re the urine test - may sound like a strange question but does the vet test the urine 'in house' or does he send the sample away?

If it's the former, then insist he instead sends your dog's urine sample away.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I suspect too she is not actually house trained and possibly prefers one type of surface to "go" on.

However I'd still not rule out a health problem - some dogs can even have congential defects which can cause bladder problems, so I think you need a very in depth chat with your vet about every single possibility.

If health is ruledout (and it's hard if not impossible to totally rule it out) you could consider a reputable behaviourist, for example www.apbc.org.uk to help unravel the problem.

Hth

Wys
x
Agree - Katie's problem is congenital
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >