Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I am a bit confused because you state on your website:

Due to the nature of the business and the kind of accommodation we are offering which suits older, quieter, small and nervous dogs we do not take dogs that are known to be noisy, aggressive, destructive or those that are not house trained, our place is not really suitable for large boisterous and noisy dogs as they upset the small quieter residents, we understand though your dog could have a different behavior to normal if he/shes a is a bit unsettled at first which is of course is perfectly acceptable. Also remember we have to walk your dog several times a day on a lead, so if you have difficulting leading it we may struggle too, so please think twice about booking if this is the case.

So if you do not take large boisterous dogs how bad can these dogs be?
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks Tabitha, will read up on those too

Most owners call to pick up a booking form and have a look round before booking in their dog, sometimes they bring their dog to introduce them and sometimes they dont. Also if anyone is unsure of how their dog will settle i tell them to drop them off for a few hours then build it up gradually until they go away for their holiday.

I only added the bit on my website about larger dogs and dogs pulling last week after problems encountered lol, obviously people book in advance so have some larger dogs still to come in, but i am not saying its the larger dogs that pull on the lead, for example imagine getting two springer spaniels in from the same home and when you take them for a walk together they are both tanking off with noses to floor taking no notice of the person at the end of the lead, this is why i am asking for tips, lovely dogs in all ways apart from the walking. Smaller dogs too can be surprisingly strong as you are probably aware, i just want to find the kindest way to be able to manage them I think you would be surprised at the amount of dogs that are terrible on the lead hence what i put on the website. Think i do need to definitely meet each dog as suggested and walk it first, so thanks for that.

Its very similar to horses, had horses for 30 years, you get ones that are very strong, there are kind bits to put in their mouths and ones that are harsher but all only as kind or harsh as the hands on the end of them

Do you not kennel your dogs at all smokeybear or just dont kennel them where they would be walked? is a well trained dog not easy for someone to walk or do they play up with other people?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by El-Bar View Post
Thanks Tabitha, will read up on those too

Most owners call to pick up a booking form and have a look round before booking in their dog, sometimes they bring their dog to introduce them and sometimes they dont. Also if anyone is unsure of how their dog will settle i tell them to drop them off for a few hours then build it up gradually until they go away for their holiday.

I only added the bit on my website about larger dogs and dogs pulling last week after problems encountered lol, obviously people book in advance so have some larger dogs still to come in, but i am not saying its the larger dogs that pull on the lead, for example imagine getting two springer spaniels in from the same home and when you take them for a walk together they are both tanking off with noses to floor taking no notice of the person at the end of the lead, this is why i am asking for tips, lovely dogs in all ways apart from the walking. Smaller dogs too can be surprisingly strong as you are probably aware, i just want to find the kindest way to be able to manage them I think you would be surprised at the amount of dogs that are terrible on the lead hence what i put on the website. Think i do need to definitely meet each dog as suggested and walk it first, so thanks for that.

Its very similar to horses, had horses for 30 years, you get ones that are very strong, there are kind bits to put in their mouths and ones that are harsher but all only as kind or harsh as the hands on the end of them

Do you not kennel your dogs at all smokeybear or just dont kennel them where they would be walked? is a well trained dog not easy for someone to walk or do they play up with other people?
This might not be a problem for their owners as Harley walks beautifully for me, but for my hubby, he pulls like a steam train... Dogs are far cleverer than people give them credit for. They know who they can take advantage off and who wouldn't allow it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Yes my dogs are in kennels regularly and they are in kennels precisely because I know that is where they will stay, in a maximum security location where they cannot escape, run away, get run over, etc etc as they stay in the kennel. They do not need walking whilst there.......
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Fair comment jesterjen but just to clear the fact i am not being taken advantage of i think i should rephrase the part of my comment you highlighted

"i think you would be surprised at the amount dogs that we take in that are terrible on the lead, these dogs are also terrible on the lead with their owners "
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Fair comment jesterjen but just to clear the fact i am not being taken advantage of i think i should rephrase the part of my comment you highlighted

"i think you would be surprised at the amount dogs that we take in that are terrible on the lead, these dogs are also terrible on the lead with their owners "
Which is why the majority of kennels do not walk dogs!
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Which is why the majority of kennels do not walk dogs!
Lol i must be one of the crazy ones then walking each one four times a day there again they are all very quiet hardly ever hear any barking so put it down to them getting out plenty to break their day up, also very rarely have any horrible messes to clean up in their rooms dont think i have ever been as fit either, never walked so much in my life! lol
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2